German M35 ET64 helmet

Absolutebeginner

Hi Everybody,

I please require your help on this helmet that a friend is offering me. I have no clue about these but I have read that there are tons of fakes out there. I collect all kinds of rare and interesting items and I would love to have this but only if it is original (which he swears it is). Anything you see that immediately raises a red flag or makes it suspicious? He wants $700 for it....

Many thanks for your help

Emily 

IMG-20210826-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0030.jpg

20210826_153952.jpg

20210826_153936.jpg

20210826_153923.jpg

20210826_153916.jpg

20210826_153911.jpg

20210826_153824.jpg

20210826_153708.jpg

20210826_153704.jpg

• Like 5

Looks all perfectly ok, just a bit of aging. However, this is an M.40 helmet, which you can see by the air vents at the side. Nice helmet. You'll have to be careful with the leather liner and chinstrap, as these get very frail and are liable to tear or break.

• Like 3

That's good news for starters, yeaaaaah! Let's hear what other members also have to say. Do you think $700 is a fair price or can I get something like this cheaper?

Thanks

Emily

• Like 4

As far as today's prices go, I think this is very good. For a single decal helmet all complete, you may have to pay in excess of 1000-1500 nowadays, a double decal helmet can cost well over 2000 nowadays, condition and originality determine the price.

• Like 3

Nice original untouched M40 helmet made by ET  which was the Eisenhuttenwerke in Thale. I would agree $700 is a fair price 

• Like 3

Looks good to me, maybe you can have him drop the price to $650 as the chinstrap is incomplete.

• Like 4

Why quibble about 50 dollars?  Before your friend changes his mind, you should make sure you get the helmet. The price of such helmets will rise in the future, and they are getting hard to find in a reasonable condition. Most helmets don't even have a chinstrap nowadays.

• Like 4

You never know Fritz, he might be willing to make a deal. Can't hurt to ask. I almost always try to make a deal especially for face to face transactions. Worst case, pay the full price. 

• Like 4

Paying the full price is usually the case in the end. "Bargaining" is somewhat frowned upon in Germany, more usual in middle east countries. Bargainers are often described here as "Pfennigfüchser"

• Like 4

Price comparison, seen this on offer for 1200 Euros, double decal, but see inside:

heer-stahlhelm-modell-1935-in-allen-teilen-originales-zusammengehoeriges-stueck-das-hakenkreuz-des-adlers-zu-95-erhalten-et60~2.jpg

heer-stahlhelm-modell-1935-in-allen-teilen-originales-zusammengehoeriges-stueck-das-hakenkreuz-des-adlers-zu-95-erhalten-et60~5.jpg

heer-stahlhelm-modell-1935-in-allen-teilen-originales-zusammengehoeriges-stueck-das-hakenkreuz-des-adlers-zu-95-erhalten-et60~10.jpg

This one for 700 - originality of decal uncertain:

heer-stahlhelm-modell-1935-mit-splitterschaden-das-stueck-wurde-vorschriftsmaessig-ueberlackiert-darunter-ist-der-urspruengliche-apfelgruene-lack-zu-sehen-abzeichen-original-~2.jpg

heer-stahlhelm-modell-1935-mit-splitterschaden-das-stueck-wurde-vorschriftsmaessig-ueberlackiert-darunter-ist-der-urspruengliche-apfelgruene-lack-zu-sehen-abzeichen-original-~9.jpg

• Like 4