Choosing between WW1 and WW2 backpack

Jan

Hey everyone! 
So today I came across a WW1 Tornister brand backpack that costs 47 bucks. Honestly I never thought about buying a backpack but it seemed to me very fair price. I always thought they would lot more expensive. Now I’m started to looking the other backpacks. 

I found a WW2 version that in better condition. But it costs $95. So more than a twice of ww1 one. (But I guess it is still fair price since ww2 stuff more expensive )  

I am also interesting with WW1 era but not much as a WW2 ( like majority of people) but in other hand I decided to buy mostly because of the fair price and now I am raising the bar. And feel like if I buy the ww2 one I will miss the good opportunity ( if it is a good and not a typical price as I thought) 

buying both would be too much for me as a new collector and when there is many different thing to add to collection. (also my girlfriend would gone mad probably) 

So I need you guys to help me out. What is your opinions about that? 

First 5 photo from WW1 one that costs $47

1D0A7B82-141D-436F-8B22-23BB6E5DAD1F.jpeg

8BB5CBB6-57A3-42B7-B76E-93D692E7D861.jpeg

79847937-FCD4-48DC-8158-3759B42E396E.jpeg

44251F74-3C61-40CC-8A94-E42294A9AB39.jpeg

D708E506-E384-47A8-A67D-8EF1A5CB6628.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi Jan, 

Yes tornisters are very undervalued in my opinion, but never buy an item just because it is cheap, there is probably a reason it is cheap and when you want to sell it later it will be hard to sell. Try to buy the best condition you can afford, always better to buy nothing and save for a nice example of the item. I don't like the stitching on the WW1 Tornister, if it's even real it's been messed about with. The WW2 Tornister is real but has miss-matched straps and the D ring straps have been cut off. I would pass on both of these and wait for a better one.    

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Kenny Andrew said:

Hi Jan, 

Yes tornisters are very undervalued in my opinion, but never buy an item just because it is cheap, there is probably a reason it is cheap and when you want to sell it later it will be hard to sell. Try to buy the best condition you can afford, always better to buy nothing and save for a nice example of the item. I don't like the stitching on the WW1 Tornister, if it's even real it's been messed about with. The WW2 Tornister is real but has miss-matched straps and the D ring straps have been cut off. I would pass on both of these and wait for a better one.    

Of course not just because it is cheap. I would also like to put this next to my helmet. There is some ww2 ones that little cheaper but not in good condition as this one. Is $95 a usual price for such a backpack in similar condition? 

• Like 2

The first example is not a WW1 Tornister! It is most likely a Tornister of one of the political organisations of the 1930s. It also looks a bit messed around with as Kenny states. The second example looks a bit better and apparently a pre-war Wehrmacht Tornister, but again, as Kenny states, somewhat missmatched straps, etc. Before buying, study pictures of originals to differenciate, there are fine differences in material and configuration between WW1 and WW2 Tornisters. Also important are makers marks and issue stamps and dates.

1-weltkriegtornister-datiert-1917.jpg

1-weltkriegtornister-datiert-1917~8.jpg

1-weltkriegtornister-datiert-1917~11.jpg

1-weltkriegtornister-datiert-1917~16.jpg

1-weltkriegtornister-datiert-1917~15.jpg

This is the 1915 pattern Tornister, only the underside was of fur, the front flap was in fieldgrey canvas, note hooked straps at front,
these were attached to the cartridge pouches. On the flap are leather loops for attaching the messtin. These are not featured on the Wehrmacht Tornisters.

Tornister / Fellrucksack / Affe Erster Weltkrieg 1914 - Schlender Antik

Details of strap ends, fieldgrey metal as from 1915.

Example as worn.

Tornister.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Fritz Thank you for taking your time and expalining so detailed. 
Yes I checked some photos on Google and noticed the fur was on the other Side but though it was maybe a different branch or something. Most the other ones that found were missing or torn some parts. Mostly the strapts. But i guess i can find a decent one in those prices.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jan said:

Fritz Thank you for taking your time and expalining so detailed. 
Yes I checked some photos on Google and noticed the fur was on the other Side but though it was maybe a different branch or something. Most the other ones that found were missing or torn some parts. Mostly the strapts. But i guess i can find a decent one in those prices.

I mean probably can’t find for  $47 but maybe for $90

• Like 3

Yes they are not that expensive, wait and find a nice one 

• Like 3