Telephone sets "F" MkII

Spike

Telephone sets "F" MkII 

I got my field telephones working, soldering two U2 size Duracells in series to power each.  I took the screw terminals from two old Ever Ready 126 bell batteries and soldered them onto the Duracells for convenience of connection/disconnection.  Small blocks of wood cut to size lift the Duracells up to the connecting wire terminals.  Otherwise U2s fit very well.

These phones came with four silica gel desiccant packs in each box.  Five minutes in the microwave and ten minutes in hot sunshine reactivated/rejuvenated them.  Coming out of the microwave they were steaming.  After airing in the sun one knew from the sound the desiccant made when moved that they were very dry.

There was an initial minor fault in one phone.  Having a pair made checking the handsets easy, swapping them over one could hear clicks when the receiver switch was depressed and could hear blowing into the microphone..  The fault was in one of the bodies not the handsets.  A plug-in induction coil had worked loose.  The quality of the innards is amazing.  Working again after 70 plus years is testimony to British engineering of the period.

With one phone in my grandsons' playhouse and one in my workshop we all had fun.  Militaria can amuse all ages.

Spike

• Like 4

could you post a picture Spike 

• Like 3