WW1 Maschinengewehrhandwagen

Gildwiller1918

Below are some images of a WW1 German maschinengewehrhandwagen or machine gun hand cart. There were possibly at least 2 models, one for the MG 08 and another for the Mg 08/15. 

958070P1340280.jpg

618073P1340281 (1).jpg

927161P1340283.jpg

R.jpg

The above images how the MG 08/15 hand cart. Note the wood holders around the water jacket and receiver to secure it for transport. 

0815Verlastet HP.jpg

WW2 version of the same cart, however the main body was made from stamped steel instead of wood. 

08Wagenrechts HPzz.jpg

WW2 version for the MG 08

08Wagenlinks HPzz.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Another view of the WW1 gun cart, this time being used to haul a Tank Gewehr rifle. 

i4GmhkP.jpg

• Like 4

Here is my replica cart I just finished, I made it based upon period images and some areas, such as the under carriage and towing arm were made with practicality in mind. So its not 100% accurate, but seeing as I did not have access to a real one, its pretty close. 

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

You even have the MG !

• Like 4

Yes Fritz, I have been putting it together for awhile now, non functional of course. 

• Like 4

Thanks, took a lot of work, but it turned out pretty nice. Now I have to figure out what to build next, lol.

• Like 4

If you have the long artillery Luger, you could build the wooden stock and accessories?

• Like 4

I probably could, I don't have any originals though. As long as I have a template to work from its fairly easy. There are rather good replicas available for a decent price though. 

• Like 4

How much space do you have? A WW1 tank would be awesome :)   

• Like 4

Well I have some land, so theoretically I could put it in a shed outside. It sure seems like since the centennial, WW1 items have gotten quite expensive. I can't imagine how much a WW1 tank would cost. 

• Like 4

Although a FT-17 in the backyard does sound nice! 

• Like 4

An FT-17 would be nice but I was thinking more a Mk 1 tank  😀 

tank.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up a really nice condition ammo can. It was stripped already of any paint, and was quite dirty. I cleaned it up and repainted it, I would have preferred to hand paint it, but no one seems to have the paint in stock, only thing I have available is spray types. This will go into my cart and replace the wooden crate. These WW1 ammo cans are very similar to the WW2 version, with mainly the main carrying handle standing out as the main difference. It also has a maker stamp, shown in the pictures.  These cans are really hard to find, at least where I am at. 

IMG_5766.JPG

IMG_5768.JPG

IMG_5767.JPG

IMG_5769.JPG

IMG_5770.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5773.JPG

IMG_5772.JPG

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

Just got in a very rare item for the machine gun cart, Kasten für Reinigungsmaterial or case for cleaning materials, this box was carried in the hand cart and had brushes, cleaning cloths and other materials inside, unfortunately I do not have a list of exactly what was carried inside. I have never seen one for sale before, luckily one of my vendors/contacts from Europe spotted one for me. I have only encountered one image of it in use, it is pictured with the early style steam condensation cans.

IMG_6305.JPG

IMG_6304.JPG

IMG_6306.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG

Kasten RM_HPz.jpg

• Like 4

Redewendung:  "...er hatte was auf dem Kasten...."
Wer etwas auf dem Kasten hat, der versteht seine Sache und macht sie gut. Er beherrscht seine Materie und hat eine Hand bzw. ein Händchen für das, was er tut. Er versteht sein Handwerk, hat wirklich was los, ist sattelfest, hat das, was er beherrschen muss, mit Löffeln gefressen und ist ein Meister seines Fachs.

• Like 4

Thanks Fritz, I have some feelers out for other rare items to go along with this case, just will have to wait and see what surfaces. 

• Like 4