Golden Party Badge

Blem

Recently I’ve come across a Golden Party Badge that sparked my interest (pictures below). I was wondering if anyone with expertise surrounding this particular item can inform me as to whether they believe this one looks genuine, any tips in spotting the fakes and any good recommendations for books to research these particular badges.

Cheers 🙂

57099F11-A534-4F65-B331-3B0397A90988.jpeg

88EE5B89-9924-401B-B797-EF18CD1471A9.jpeg

• Like 4

The market value is around 3000 - 3500 Euros presently. Whether this is an original or not, I cannot say, as I have never handled one of these.
The number on the back indicates the award to a particular person, originals should have that particular number, and theoreticly you can check the official lists for the name of the person it was awarded to, that is, if these lists still exist in an archive, if they haven't been destroyed by the end of the war. The example you show seems to have gone through the mill a bit, to the rear looks like the maker's name, which is hard to make out, is Deschler, München 9
Altogether there was a total of around 8 million members of the NSDAP, and a membership stop was issued before it became too many.
These are of course the ordinary members, the Golden Party Badge was a special recognition. Each member received two examples, a smaller version for wear on civil clothing, and a larger with a proper pin for wear with a uniform. There are also versions with a buttonhole fastening rather than a needle, these were for wear on civil clothing, mainly by men.
Each award was accompanied by a decorative award document with the name of the recipient and the date.

One source states that an exact number of badges awarded is not certain, but up till 1935 the NSDAP static shows a figure of 22.282 awards.

Goldenes Ehrenzeichen der NSDAP große AusführungGoldenes Ehrenzeichen der NSDAP große Ausführung

image.jpeg.97bbade75c3dc6d619a64b2579c294eb.jpeg

Example of a set

NumisBids: Emporium Hamburg Auction 77 (17-18 Nov 2016)

Comparison, the normal party badge

Internet photos

• Like 4

Ah okay.

It’s currently for sale on an online auction website for considerably less than that but not too far off of the price I have seen some other websites sell it for.

Despite being new to collecting Third Reich militaria, I am aware that these are sought after and thus faked a fair bit so I was just concerned as to the legitimacy of it. I don’t want to be fleeced of upwards of a grand!

I do agree though, it has been through the rough!

That’s sort of what made me think is it a dodgy reproduction but at the same time it could easily be attributed to damage over the past 80 years.

I have seen some examples of reproductions and comparisons with real things and to me, the untrained eye, it looks alright, but obviously being new that could simply be as I say, the fact that I have an untrained eye and don’t particularly know what to look for.

• Like 4

If you have the possibility, go and see the item and speak to the people at the auction house, whether they would take returns or not.
It would also be good to get some more competent opinions as well, even better if an officially qualified person gave you a written and signed expertise, these are usually with photos of the item. Sometimes a lifelong guarantee of originality is given, but not usually by auction houses, who simply handle these, but hold a certain responsability for what they accept for their auctions.

• Like 4

Unfortunately the auction house is based in Canada!

But I have previously checked out all the terms and conditions of sale etc and it’s all fine and can be returned if ever proven to be a fake, but as with all things, a bad apple must slip through the cracks every now and then so I didn’t want to be a fool and just buy it without talking to some people who know their stuff when talking about militaria.

Just need some second opinions on it to be honest. 

Also Fritz, is there any books you would recommend for Third Reich Militaria, specifically Medals and Badges for a beginner like myself?

Cheers 🙂

• Like 4

There is a vast number of books on the subject. Still considered competent are the catalogues by Detlev Niemann, which although out of print, can still be obtained. There are detailed photos of each award with descriptions, etc. There are also older books by Adrian Foreman, etc.

• Like 4

I tend to avoid Golden Party badges unless they come from a veteran source or are totally text book examples. I do have a few concerns firstly the pin plate is attached in a very sloppy manner and upside down. Secondly I would expect any badge numbered higher than 10,000 made by Deschler & Sohn to be marked "Ges. Gesch." Also the numbers compare the 0 to the one Fritz posted. Of course there are always exceptions, such as the pin could have been repaired and replaced upside down, but in end with these non text book examples, it just comes down to personal opinions. That's why I try avoid them unless they are text book examples or have good provenance.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Mine. Awarded to a milk worker - Eric Rappe, with copies of his membership card.

I think the one you show looks good.

77650 Rappe Pair f.jpg

77650 Rappe Pair r.jpg

Rappe Party Card 1.jpg

Rappe Party Card 2.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I am a long standing student and collector of this type of badge. The badge originally put up for discussion with number 60897, is, in my opinion, a well used example of an original 30.5mm Deschler made Gold Party Badge. Comparisons with the later photos on this thread from Fritz and JamesT will confirm this.

The characteristics of an original are present. It appears that the 'Ges Gesch' rear marking has been partially overshadowed by reaffixing the pin mounting plate upside down. These badges had various issue with insecure fixing pins and it is not uncommon to find pins and plates replaced or reaffixed.

Unfortunately I don't have details of the recipient on my list of award holders , but I would recommend contact with Robert McDivitt, a researcher in the USA, who has expertise in finding such details in the US National Archives.

The current market value of a badge like this, in the same used condition and with a currently unknown recipient, should be nearer to 2000 - 2200 GBP.

Tony A

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Another of my GPBs. A small one by Deschler. Sadly unattributed. 

I believe that the numbering style is unusual because it is not in a straight line but follows the contour of the edge of the badge. 

43869 f.jpg

43869 r.jpg

• Like 5

PS - how do I get hold of Robert McDivitt?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Found him. Thanks 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JamesT said:

Wow! what a great man. He got back to me within a few hours with some great information. Badge no 43869 remains unattributed but he gave me some additional information about Erich Rappe badge no 77650. He can be reached here - rmcdivittjr@yahoo.com

• Like 5