Buying ww2 German M40 or M35 Helmet

Jan

Hello everyone. I am from Russia and I am new in this forum. 
I am looking to buy a German Wehrmacht helmet but i don’t have a much of a knowledge.. well I don’t have at all honestly.  

so I have some questions first 

Does M40 helmets cost more or more precious than M35 Helmets or there is no difference? 

what do you think about re-painted helmets? Personally I have a mixed feelings about them. Looks good but it’s spoils the originality in same time.  

My last question is; what is the average prices for a m40 or M35 helmets with some rust, without sweetband but all in one peace? I’m finding too many helmets with similar conditions but in very different prices. There must be fake ones also of course. 

I’m going to upload some helmets of sellers from Russia. Could you advise me about their originality and prices? ( I can add more photos of specific ones) 

first black one cost 137$ 

second green one costs 64.5 $

3th one is 114 $

There is more that costs 25-30$ (They are rusty or there is some big holes ) and repainted ones . I didn't add them because otherwise post will be too long . 

thank you for the help .

4FE75B4E-4EE6-4015-A14B-288BDF9A026A.jpeg

2795C4C6-4520-4849-A491-E2259C04CA6B.jpeg

4246D49B-F32B-4C9F-9686-7274D2F671D7.jpeg

0DFBED6D-E5D3-49F9-B45F-5EB1A3DAD93D.jpeg

6E8695FB-23FB-4008-B74A-3CAC8CD9B4C5.jpeg

1BA67CA7-A0C0-4EC1-941B-CD295D6CB7B5.jpeg

85C1497E-7551-4EE4-B6AD-C63DEAFFC068.jpeg

0E043FB3-29D1-4EE1-8FA9-B5E20EBC8428.jpeg

E80A18E8-799C-412C-A886-1221E8296316.jpeg

• Like 3

First, second and third pictures look like the helmet was originally bluegrey for Lufwaffe (M.40) not too bad. All have lost their interiors and the fixing studs, just the holes remaining.
The next helmet looks as though someone has overpainted it with a greenish paint, not recommended, on this you would have to try a commercial paint stripper, and hope that this will remove most of the re-paint. Perhaps underneath are the remains of the original finish. I did this once on a helmet which had been overpainted on the outside light grey, using a paint-stripper, it successfully removed the light grey paint, and underneath was the original finish, which was in good condition. The helmet was otherwise generally very good, with original chinstrap and liner, it was an M.42 helmet.
The last helmet looks like an M.35 helmet with a lot of original finsh and the remains of the emblem. However, these are all not top pieces, more relic condition.  I would tend to invest a bit more for a good helmet. It is hard to say what a helmet costs today, many unserious dealers will inflate the prices on a low value piece.
The best tip is to check the homepages of serious sites, and to see what their prices are. Also militaria auctions are held every year by auction houses in Europe, you can see the prices on these and guess an average. There are also some standard books and reference works quoting prices and values, which are edited from time to time.
Treasure Bunker also has an internet shop and you could check this from regularly, as there have been many good helmets on offer over the years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fritz said:

First, second and third pictures look like the helmet was originally bluegrey for Lufwaffe (M.40) not too bad. All have lost their interiors and the fixing studs, just the holes remaining.
The next helmet looks as though someone has overpainted it with a greenish paint, not recommended, on this you would have to try a commercial paint stripper, and hope that this will remove most of the re-paint. Perhaps underneath are the remains of the original finish. I did this once on a helmet which had been overpainted on the outside light grey, using a paint-stripper, it successfully removed the light grey paint, and underneath was the original finish, which was in good condition. The helmet was otherwise generally very good, with original chinstrap and liner, it was an M.42 helmet.
The last helmet looks like an M.35 helmet with a lot of original finsh and the remains of the emblem. However, these are all not top pieces, more relic condition.  I would tend to invest a bit more for a good helmet. It is hard to say what a helmet costs today, many unserious dealers will inflate the prices on a low value piece.
The best tip is to check the homepages of serious sites, and to see what their prices are. Also militaria auctions are held every year by auction houses in Europe, you can see the prices on these and guess an average. There are also some standard books and reference works quoting prices and values, which are edited from time to time.
Treasure Bunker also has an internet shop and you could check this from regularly, as there have been many good helmets on offer over the years.

Thank you for spending time to answer . I will consider this. I wonder those helmets can be taken to abroad? 

• Like 4

I have no idea, you would have to ask around in the region where you live.

• Like 3