Boys anti-tank cartridge

Picked this up recently as well, a WW2 dated Boys anti-tank cartridge. This cartridge was .55 caliber or 14mm and was based upon the Browning .50 caliber cartridge. These cartridges were loaded into a 5 round detachable magazine and the rifle could fire 10 rounds per minute. The rifle was put into service in late 1937 and served with numerous allied forces in WW2, however it was slowly replaced by the PIAT. It did see service into the 1950's and even was used by the IRA in an attack in 1965. These rounds are quite plentiful here, as are the stripper clips and to a lesser extent the magazines. The rifles themselves are quite expensive and hard to find all complete. 

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5205.JPG

• Like 2

Here are some images off the internet showing the stripper clips, magazine and rifle. I do know a fellow collector that has one of these rifles and shoots it periodically, he says its a beast!

Rbd4daf450fd7c758c4d6f090a83099bb.jpg

64342761_1_x.jpg

R2e39400a1cbe89b152bf4da080c5d80a.jpg

• Like 3

These can be seen in the film "A Bridge too far", used by some of the British paratroopers.

• Like 3

I will have to re-watch that movie, I remember seeing the PIAT, but not the Boys rifle. 

• Like 2