SS medal? Or what

Lee

It is a 4 year service medal, or SS-Dienstauszeichnungen. The 4 and 8 year medals are the most commonly seen ones, however be mindful on SS items, as they are heavily faked. Normally this medal would have a blue ribbon in which the ring was attached to hang the medal which was blackened bronze. I am no expert on these, however the lettering as well as the leaves and acorns look a little funny. I have attached images of real ones for comparison. 

13555_2d.jpg

13555_4d.jpg

• Like 3

Ahh this one from fb looks fake as compared to the one you have shown. I wasn't going to buy it. But he is trying to sell it to others.

• Like 4

Its ok Lee, there are so many fakes today, its hard not to be confused by what's out there. Even experienced collectors get fooled. When dealing with rare and hard to find items, do your research and only by from reputable vendors. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tell me about it.. Places like ebay are full with fakes..  Like I posted in a different part of the forum.. A fake ss armband selling on ebay for over £250. Because I'm new to collecting iv been slowly learning what to look out for and of course I use the treasure bunker to ask people if something looks fake. You, Kenny and Fritz have been so good in teaching me key things  and saving me from buying fakes. It's all very appreciated 👏

• Like 4

Ebay and facebook are not recommended, there may be exceptions of course! I also do not like paypal (they tend to keep your money, if anything due back to you, and they are difficult to contact, they are based in Luxembourg, are rather shady and they seem imune to normal  laws)
Research and experience count. You can check a lot of things in internet simply by googling what you are looking for. Go for the pictures and compare these, along with the text descriptions of course. There are also a lot of good books and illustrated catalogues on the subject, these will often give you an estimate value.

Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen: Deutsches Reich, Weimarer Republik,  Drittes Reich, DDR und Bundesrepublik 1871 bis heute: Amazon.de: Nimmergut,  Jörg, Feder, Klaus H, Heyde, Heiko von der: BücherISBN 9783866460928 "Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen - 1800 – 1945" – neu &  gebraucht kaufen

These are of the renowned Nimmergut series, appear annually and with actual price quotations

Bewertungskatalog Orden und Ehrenzeichen,Urkunden,Miniaturen und Etuis  Deutschland 1871-1945 mit 1156 Abbildungen: Amazon.de: Niemann,Detlev:  BücherRitterkreuz des Kriegsverdienstkreuzes - 20. — online kaufen:  Auktionskatalog "Orden und Ehrenzeichen" vom 06.04.2019: Foto, Preis von  Auktionslos 0448 bei VERYIMPORTANTLOT.com

Also recommended are the catalogues by Detlev Niemann, which unfortunately are no longer published, can still be obtained second hand, they were fairly expensive when new.

• Like 3

Like Fritz stated, research counts, and eBay and similar sites are not good for high dollar/scarce items. However you can find more common items from time to time. I have quite a few reference books and catalogs myself, it takes time but it will pay off later.

• Like 3