I was wondering if this iron cross  was authentic.  The main things worrying to me are the fact the swastika is not centered right and the fact there seems to be some black paint on the back.  Maybe it was repainted and maybe it’s an Übergrossen?  I have tried the magnet test on it and it is indeed magnetic.  There is no stamp on the ring as I can see.  I’m not quite sure and I could use some help.

i34bfbdvqwo61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpgs71jsgdvqwo61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpgdvqdohdvqwo61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg59lo5ddvqwo61.jpg?width=3264&format=pjpg

• Like 4

The swastika could just be misaligned and not unusual to see paint on the rim. Have you measured it Übergrosse Iron Crosses are larger in size than the standard 44mm by 44mm their size being 47.5mm by 47.5mm? 

• Like 4

Unusual variations can be worth a bit more, I have occasionally seen the "larger" variants, they are always much higher in price. The same goes for the variant 3 in 39, an early round 3 is much rarer and is quite expensive. There are also the so called Schinkel variations, these are eleganter and have the dimensions and form of the 1914 cross. The iron core might be slightly loose and therefore the swastika may be no longer dead central. The decoration itself looks ok. Someone may have overpainted the core at some stage. Judging by the photo the decoration seems to be ok, a closer examination would be needed if in doubt. Try reading other posts on this subject on the forum and compare the photos, we have a lot of repetition on this topic lately.

100_4727.JPG

• Like 4
7 hours ago, kenny andrew said:

The swastika could just be misaligned and not unusual to see paint on the rim. Have you measured it Übergrosse Iron Crosses are larger in size than the standard 44mm by 44mm their size being 47.5mm by 47.5mm? 

I have just measured it and I think it is just 44mm by 44mm.  Maybe you’re right and it is just misaligned.

• Like 3

Another thing that concerns me, and maybe this is just me, is that the black core is not very movable.  Maybe it was the maker or the repaint that could have made it stuck in one place.

• Like 3

Sorry I just want to ask another thing.  There are some scratches on this and it seems to me that it’s a shiny brown underneath the black.  Not quite sure if this is common or if it means it is a complete fake.

80CCC12C-4A4F-4B5D-B2C7-F3DFB258A076.jpeg

B14CEBF0-033A-4806-B7D7-FAF18085FC4F.jpeg

• Like 2

The brown would normally be rust, but not shiny. As the core is made of iron, it can easily rust. In the photo I cannot see any rust under the black. The cross generally looks good, but I am not sure about the black finish, it looks as though it has been painted, but perhaps not, it is hard to judge by a photo. If you can scratch the paint with your fingernail, it is most likely a repaint, but maybe still an original medal. What I miss is a slight rust tone where the metal is bare.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Fritz said:

The brown would normally be rust, but not shiny. As the core is made of iron, it can easily rust. In the photo I cannot see any rust under the black. The cross generally looks good, but I am not sure about the black finish, it looks as though it has been painted, but perhaps not, it is hard to judge by a photo.

So everything seems real and authentic just that the core was most likely painted over at some point in time?  (Looked at it again and it’s not necessarily shiny I think it was just the lighting)

• Like 3

Maybe better to get a few more opinions on it, photos do not always reveal everything. What I noticed looked like overpainting over the inner edges of the silver frame, or is it just tarnish? Shouldn't normally be so dark.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Fritz said:

Maybe better to get a few more opinions on it, photos do not always reveal everything. What I noticed looked like overpainting over the inner edges of the silver frame, or is it just tarnish? Shouldn't normally be so dark.

That’s what I was originally worried about.  I heard it’s not uncommon for paint to be on the inside of the silver lining like shown here.  I’m pretty sure it may be paint from some sort of repainting job either when it was made or some time afterwards.  This could also explain why the core doesn’t move as freely as it should.

Edit:  I just tried scratching it to see if any black would come off.  As I can see, nothing was changed to the core so it truly mystifies me.

D4C70228-D363-4EDC-BDCA-62DAEC4EB9E7.jpeg

• Like 2

In manufacturing the core was enameled before it was put into the frame, this was no ordinary paint finish, it was a form of enamel. There were no hand painted decorations. It looks like a repaint.

• Like 3

Well the thing is my grandma got me it from The Ruptured Duck on my birthday so I just wanted to know cause it looked a bit odd.  But, so far it seems like a real iron cross that was repainted right?  Because if so that’s not too bad, it’s still an original iron cross if that were the case and still would be a piece of history.

• Like 3

Saw another example on that page, and looks like an original, that had lost a lot of it's black finish, the bare iron was very clean, it looked like the decoration had been dipped in acid for cleaning. Others may have been repainted. Should never dip a decoration like this in an acid cleaner.

The other example here has lost some of it's finish through age and wear, the exposed iron parts have a faint rust patina through age and atmospheric dampness.

WW2_German_2nd_Class_Iron_Cross_27330_1024x1024.jpg?v=1619191701

WW1_German_Iron_Cross_First_Class_25106_1024x1024.jpg?v=1614883890

• Like 3

Ok thank you now I know that my iron cross was most likely 100% repainted and is probably original from my understanding.  I understand a bit more about iron crosses now as well as my own.  I’ll also get a few other opinions from around forums.

• Like 3