Third Reich 40 year faithful service cross, original?

Lee

Can anyone tell me worth and if its original as the ribbon don't look original because it's too clean I feel? 

Screenshot_20210412-141504_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20210412-141514_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 3

• Lee changed the title to Is the genuine? And is the ribbon original as it looks too clean

I assume judging by the photos and not being a rare decoration, that it would be original. There are copies on the market. The ribbons on these decorations are usually clean and look unused, also the decorations usually turn up in good condition, as they were seldom worn, and there were a lot of unissued stocks at the end of the war. Prices would be about 40-60 depending on crispness, more with the original case, which should should have a gold impressed 40 at the front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks ok to me. Made of zink with the remains of a gilt bronze finish. There may be a small number stamped into the ring for the manufacturer. On the reverse of the envelope may be the (matching) name of the manufacturer. I have a similar example directly from the veteran who earned it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK so both look genuine to you? And merit of  swords is real? Again I was suspicious by the cleaner ribbon and if it don't have a number on the ring you still think its genuine? 

• Like 2

They don't always have a number, but a number is always a bonus, as you then know the manufacturer. Not all ribbons are grubby.

• Like 2

Hi Lee, both items look ok , please when you post an item could you name the item in the title rather than posting "is this real" otherwise the forum will get very confusing and difficult to search for items. In this case the title could be "Third Reich 40 year faithful service cross, original? " Thanks :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Lee changed the title to Third Reich 40 year faithful service cross, original?

Kenny, do the ribbons look original? And if they are not original.. Do they effect the value by alot? 

• Like 2

First ribbon is original, second ribbon impossible to say from the picture. The main value is in the medal , however always nice to get the original ribbon eventually. Medals with original ribbons will have a slight increase in value but not much.   

• Like 1

The medal is very worn, but the ribbon is very new, impossible to say because of the quality of the picture.  

• Like 2

The ribbon is original. There are different widths of ribbons, the issued ribbons were ca. 30mm wide, some of the replacement ribbons are narrower, around 25mm or slightly more, these are also usually original, were intended for mounting the medals on a bar. However, most decorations of this type were only worn for the first day of the award, they hung from the second buttonhole on the tunic, thereafter just the ribbon was worn, so a medal should not show much wear. Your example is of zink, mid to late war, which loses it's finish within 40-50 years and appears grey with light oxidation, quite normal. Of course, most of these ribbon types are also available as reproductions, and cost a bit less, finding original spare ribbons has become more difficult and expensive.

This was how a decoration was worn:

UNIFORMROCK ROTTENFÜHRER der 17. SS-Panzer-Gren.-Div. Götz von  Berlichingen, Feldbluse zeitgenöss

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Both are good and I think both ribbons are good too 

• Like 3