M16 Helmet Identification

Hannah B

My 82 year old dad had a box of helmets from an auction he bought 20-30 years ago.  I researched a little to determine this appears to be a WW1 m16.  Yet there are a few head scratchers about this.  It looks repainted with no mark stamps.  Inside (near the top point of the helmet)  the paint was scraped down to the metal and it looks like brass (?).   Any info on this would greatly be appreciated ~ Han 

IMG_E1287.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

• Like 4

Definitely repainted. This was the standard German helmet in WW1, first introduced in early till mid 1916.   Under the scratches looks like light rust. You can check with a magnet to see if it is iron, which I'm sure it is. It still has the correct swivel fittings for the chinstrap (these could be brass, as used till 1916), take care not to lose these. Someone has replaced the liner band with some old leather.

This one I got recently for our local museum, it cost about half of what is normally paid nowadays, as it is no longer in "top" condition, but still has all original fieldgrey paintwork and the leather lining, which is damaged, but complete.

The prices for these helmets have risen considerably in the past years.

grafik.thumb.png.18b36e5ae543a238d91b155623d01dd3.png

100_6631.JPG

Leather liner is damaged, but nothing missing, apart from the chinstrap

Check to see if there are any stamped markings on the inside towards the edge as in picture below.

maskenbrille-wehrmacht-neuwertig-originalverpackt_1991~7.jpg

• Like 3

The helmet is iron except for a small area at the crown of the helmet where the brass appears. There are no seams or solder patch work (to indicate a repair).  I see a very faint 191 or 79J marking. Thin not a heavy stamp near the swivel. Swivels are iron, as well. . Intriguing! 

• Like 4

It may have been a hole caused by corrosion, which has been brazed and repaired by someone. The swivels were iron after 1916. These are the same swivels found on the leather spiked helmets, as below -

Could you make a photo of the stamp / markings you described?

1.Weltkrieg, Kinnriemen für eine Pickelhaube oder Stahlhelm, 145,00 €

and fitted on the earlier leather helmets

Imperial Stag Fotos e Imágenes de stock - Alamy

• Like 3

I would tend to see in the second picture L64 - the list below states L as R.Lindenberg A.G. in Remscheid (the maker) - 64 is the shell size (in cm)

grafik.thumb.png.137631b56f5830da75be76d7ad12dbe2.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen several of these helmets that have been repaired over the years. Some had cracks, or holes that were welded or filled. The helmet itself most likely does not have much of the original paint left, especially with the corrosion. The exterior probably was bad looking at one point and was filled or repaired then repainted. Most, focus on the exterior when refurbishing, not much time is spent on the interior. As far as restoration goes, that is up to you. 

• Like 3