NSDAP armband real?

Lee

Hi Lee, that one looks fine 

• Like 2

Was this an early one? Also I picked it up for £200. Hope I didn't get to ripped off. Thank you Kenny 

• Like 3

Yes it is an early Bevo weave one, but £200 sounds a bit expensive to be honest,  if it still had the RZM tag it would be OK at this price. I think the last Bevo one we had without a label sold for about £150.  

• Like 3

Flag, looks ok too but lots of repairs which may or may not be wartime, also quite a hard size to display.    

• Like 3

Flags often have little repairs, that is normal, when hung in front of a building or wherever, they were exposed to wind and weather, so they naturally get damaged, the repairs may well be period, as post-war nobody would have gone to the trouble to repair them, normally. The trouble is the size and storing or displaying it. Smallish versions are the best sellers, esp. the small Reichskriegsflagge, as used on U-Boots and smaller vessels.

*Post-war, these flags were used as material to make women's clothes, curtains, table cloths, have been told this many times by various people, who lived through the post-war period. Everything that wasn't burnt or buried was turned into something else, steel helmets were turned into pots and pans. Of course, a few have also survived, but not many in Germany, unless they were hidden, which was also very risky.

Important is to keep it clean and prevent fading due to exposure to light, sunlight can be very harmful to textiles. Washing not recommended!

The armband looks ok, there were many variations in manufacture, some were simply printed, others had a separate circle and an applied cross of material, others, like yours were entirely woven into the red background. A completely thin example woven in rayon thread could also be a mid to late version. Can't say about the present price, items like this will increase in value anyway.

Here's my example, made in three parts, the cross is of wool, the rest is cotton, has an illegible stamp of the issuing authority - no idea which organisation could have worn this particular one. Condition is ok, but generally it has yellowed slightly. I would say this is a fairly early example.

100_4765.JPG

• Like 3

*Post-war, these flags were used as material to make women's clothes, curtains, table cloths, have been told this many times by various people, who lived through the post-war period. Everything that wasn't burnt, buried or confiscated was turned into something else, steel helmets were turned into pots and pans. Of course, a few have also survived, but not many in Germany, unless they were hidden, which was also very risky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1