British bmb 1945 dispatch riders helmet

Jcrocker

I'm seeking the correct colour paint for a bmb 1945 dispatch riders helmet and also what was used to texture,I'm sure I read bmb helmets were dipped in sawdust while the paint was still wet.

• Like 3

Hi JC, welcome to the forum, early helmets were lighter khaki as your helmet is dated 1945 the colour will be the darker khaki. If you look inside the helmet you should still be able to see the original paint so you can try to match what is already there. The maker stamp BMB stands for Briggs Motor Bodies, I'm not sure how BMB helmets had texture added, I know at the end of  WW1 sand was used for Brodie helmets, hopefully some of the helmet collectors will be able to confirm.  Here are images of a 45 dated BMB helmet with the correct colour of paint. If you take the helmet to a paint shop and there is still paint inside they should be able to mix the correct RAL for you. You could also put a net on it. 

DR Helmet 1.jpg

DR Helmet 2.jpg

DR Helmet 3.jpg

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to British bmb 1945 dispatch riders helmet

That helmet looks unissued, just a few storage marks, probably late 1945, so no longer needed - surplus

• Like 3