Collar+Shoulder+ Cuff+ Buttons

Skylinechili

20210405_235341.jpg

A large single monogram (crown was extra, missing) Friedrich Wilhelm IV. from an officer's epaulette  for Grenadier-Regiment 2 (not shoulder piece as on right)
An unworn pair of shoulder pieces, Prussia, fieldgrey, for a Leutnant, no numbers as yet attached, Train-Bataillon (blue)
20210405_230506.jpg

Los 5234 | Die Sammlung Lacey | Online-Katalog | A80cl | Vergangene  Auktionen | Kaufen | Hermann Historica

Example state cockade as worn on cap band (Reichs- cockade always above)
A Prussian officer cap cockade

A helmet plate (private purchase type, see rear attachment fitting of star) for a Tschapka of either 1. or 3. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, both were in Potsdam

Militaria Deutschland - Preussen : Mannschafts - Tschapka des 3. Garde  Ulanen Regiments. Mannscha

3. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, example

Tschapka für Reserveoffiziere im 1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, um 1900 — online  bei Auktion kaufen. Auktionskatalog "Internationale Orden &  militärhistorische Sammlungsstücke" vom 22.10.2020: Foto, Preis von  Auktionslos 1502 bei VERYIMPORTANTLOT.com

1. Garde-Ulanen-Regiment, example (Officer)

20210405_230305.jpg

British Order of the Garter (the highest and most noble order of the British monarchy)
These however are in the form of officer insignia, very fine quality, on the right could be from a helmet plate, depending on size, to the left a cap badge. Perhaps you could post a picture of the reverse of these both.

• Like 3

Yes, I'll photo the reverse of the Garter Order badge. Any thoughts on the first two items I posted? Fur cuffs and some type of field cover? 

Here are a few of my Prussian caps.  

20210406_091119.jpg

20210406_091153.jpg

20210406_091222.jpg

20210406_091406.jpg

20210406_091333.jpg

• Like 4

20210406_091119.jpg

Lovely cap. Originally a walking out dress cap, fieldgrey, remarkable condition - as you can see cockades in style do not match, on the band (original) is an other ranks' cockade, original to cap! Cockade above is the Reichskokarde (in principal correct), but here, an officer version - and this is not period, but is an aluminium cockade from Third Reich period. This has been added by a collector to replace the missing cockade. Not unusual, because, as from 9. November 1918, abdication of the Kaiser - the Reichskokarde was (often) removed from headdress! Some did not follow the revolution and kept the cockade at their own risk!!! They were likely to be lynched by all and sundry, but defended themselves. Of course, in the end, the Reichskokarde was abolished. Could by remedied by replacing the upper cockade with a matching cockade in black-white-red in the same diameter 20 or 22 mm ?

20210406_091333.jpg

Peacetime infantry officer cap - Baden, upper cockade may have been replaced at some stage but matches

20210406_092046.jpg

Officers beret, most likely post-war. The ribbon material under the badge is in the colours darkblue, claret for the Brigade of Guards. The garter badge is for the Coldstream Guards Regiment.

20210406_092115.jpg

Smallish embroidered Garter Star, judging by the size, it may have been on the collar of the red tunic of a Coldstream Guards officer.

20210406_102333.jpg

These two, or at least the one on the right may be sterling silver, check for hallmarks! The larger badge is possibly for the officer peaked cap, Coldstream Guards Regt., the one on the right possibly for a beret by it's size, but the type of needle would almost rule this out, more like a half-miniature of the Order?

20210406_101026.jpg

Is this on a complete field cap? The symbol is of the Hoch- und Deutschmeister Division of the Wehrmacht, formerly k.u.k. Infanterie-Regiment "Hoch- und Deutschmeister" Nr.4, etc. These were formerly the traditional infantry regiments of the old Austrian Army, whose tradition was taken over after 1938 and incorporated into the Wehrmacht, 44. Infanterie-Division, the division was destroyed at Stalingrad and re-raised again in 1943, hence the Stalingrad Schriftzug. The Division comprised following units:

• Infanterie-Regiment 131
  • Infanterie-Regiment 132
  • Infanterie-Regiment 134
  • Artillerie-Regiment 96
  • Feldersatz-Bataillon 44
  • Panzerabwehr-Abteilung 46
  • Pionier-Bataillon 80
  • Nachrichten-Abteilung 64
  • Infanterie-Divisions-Nachschubführer 44

20210406_104225.jpg

above - 2 rank stars for officer shoulder pieces, size?
Two Imperial Crowns, possibly with a naval association, seem to be of wartime grey metal
The sword within a wreath belongs to a specific medal, and is mounted on the ribbon, this from the post-WW1 years, see photo here:

Deutsche Ehrendenkmünze des Weltkriegs (Deutsche Ehrenlegion) – Wikipedia

The other buttons reverse, can't say what these are, unless I see the front side and know the diametre.

20210406_103549.jpg

These are the gilt campaign bars for the Prussian-German medal for 1870/71, commemorating the battles. There were about 25 official names.  They were established in 1895 to mark the 25th anniversary of the victory and could be purchased by the recipient if entitled. They have a good price of about 50 Euros upwards, depending on rarity. Of the bars illustrated, the rarest one would be Strassburg, the others following. Better is when complete with both prongs. Bronze, fire-gilded (usually). There are variations in manufacture and size. Examples:
Preussen: Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71, in Bronze mit 5  Gefechtsspangen.Verliehene Medaille am Bande,

Kriegsdenkmünze für die Feldzüge 1870–71 (Deutsches Reich) – Wikipedia

• Like 4

Fritz,

The field cap. The Hochund badge is attached to the left side. I didn't have a better picture of it and I'm not home to take one. The photo with all the buttons I posted by mistake. I will take a better more complete photo and the front side when I get home this evening. Thanks for posting the other examples and sharing more about the cockade. I believe I have a few period to replace. I'll look to see if I have them. 

• Like 3

A pair of beautiful Tyrolean's. Maybe not Military but figured I would share since I had them out. Fairly old, not sure of age but they've been around since before I was. My father would wear to Oktoberfest. Of course with much flare pinned. Love these hats and will keep always!

20210406_210325.jpg

20210406_210343.jpg

20210406_210412.jpg

20210406_210550.jpg

20210406_210559.jpg

20210406_210519.jpg

20210406_210640.jpg

20210406_210634.jpg

• Like 3

Post-War but with a definite flair and tradition, not seen everyday. The large Bavarian badge with the crown must have been for monarchy sympathisers - of which there were quite a few in good ol Bayern just a few years back, now gradually forgotten by the new generations, who know nothing about the old Bavarian monarchy. The political parties of the later postwar years have made sure that the monarchy has not been restored and have secured their well-paid posts in the republican system.
The Hamburg, Berlin badges and the W.German eagle are a bit out of place, the remaining badges are more from the "region" and are from the 1960s till 1980s, which could be purchased in many cities and tourist spots, sometimes made of real silver.

• Like 2

Carefully check the Coldstream guards officer badge, the hallmarks are sometimes tiny and can only be seen using an eye glass. They are sometimes hidden between the details on the front as well as the rear of the badge.  The unidentified items are very strange, first item looks like it would be worn around the neck, perhaps for cold weather protection along with the fur items. Fritz are the markings on these items unit markings?    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kenny andrew said:

Carefully check the Coldstream guards officer badge, the hallmarks are sometimes tiny and can only be seen using an eye glass. They are sometimes hidden between the details on the front as well as the rear of the badge.  The unidentified items are very strange, first item looks like it would be worn around the neck, perhaps for cold weather protection along with the fur items. Fritz are the markings on these items unit markings?    

Which items and unit markings do you mean?

• Like 2

I haven't seen these fur items before, the crowns on the press studs have no significance! They are simply a maker's logo!  Possibly these fur items were wrist protectors against cold weather, worn under the greatcoat, can't say if they are WW1 or WW2. Not standard clothing, but an improvisation for cold weather, which were offered on a private purchase basis by commercial manufacturers. In both wars funds were raised for the troops at the front in cold weather and the population was urged to donate warm clothing, woolen clothing, furs and other winter commodities for the troops. Also skis were collected in these Winterspende-Aktionen! These however, proved of little use to the troops.

AUFRUF ZUR REICHS-SPINNSTOFF-SAMMLUNG 1941/Original/RAR - EUR 19,90 |  PicClick DE

However, this piece (below) is very important - no uniform was worn without this. This is a Halsbinde, fieldgrey, worn under the collar of the tunic at all times! The fieldgrey colour was earlier more of a beige tone, on the reverse is a stamp, which I would assume is from 104.R. the 16 being either the year 1916 or 16. Kompagnie - the stamps are unusually too close together, so that it is hard to tell. Looks slightly faded with some wear and washing. I stress, no uniform was ever worn without a collar liner or Halsbinde. On the peacetime uniform they were black, slightly higher and not so soft as this type for the field uniform. The old type was also known as a Halsstock, this was more in the 18th and early 19th century.

An important feature of the Hals- or Kragenbinde was to protect the collar of the tunic from neck grease and dirt.

20210405_235425.jpg

and a rather worn and aged peacetime version, black, inside white. Had to be changed and cleaned daily, always inspected. In later uniforms a fieldgrey collar liner was buttoned into the collar of the tunic, hence the three buttons always seen inside the collars on later fieldgrey tunics. The idea was not new, it has always been worn in Prussia, Russia and other states. However, the Russians were not so clever as to button them in they were stitched in, and removed every day, and replaced by a clean one - these were harshly inspected regularly in the Soviet army on an at least daily basis. The last NVA uniforms also a collar liner. Abolished in 1990. Still worn today on Russian dress uniforms. In Britain and USA apparently unknown.

Halsbinde (Neck Stock) « Pommersches Pionier

Peacetime type, slightly higher, slightly stiffened, this example with grime and age. Also with stitched-in name label still in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My last post/reply slightly re-edited!

• Like 2

Fritz, 

Thank you for the education! Very interesting as I've never heard of the Halsstock. Makes good sense. I'll try to search more on the fur item. They are very soft, perhaps rabbit hide. Only thing I could think due to size was cuffs. 

• Like 3

Few more uniform related items for today. 

First coat-Not sure, British?

Second- German Heer I believe. Similar to the wind coat I posted a while back of the Gebirgsjäger but a heavier material. 

Third- British Belt, same colors as Brigade of Guards. The suspenders are slightly different tone of blue. Storage bag was labeled Trace Guard?

Forth- British belt?

Fifth- Very old Scottish buckle? Very heavy. I've seen modern buckles made to look old. This is not one of them. 

Six- Obviously modern but thought I'd post due to the other Brigade Guard items. 

20210407_112656.jpg

20210407_112640.jpg

20210407_112608.jpg

20210407_112950.jpg

20210407_113046.jpg

20210407_113119.jpg

20210407_111427.jpg

20210407_111607.jpg

20210407_111827.jpg

20210407_113548.jpg

20210407_113616.jpg

• Like 3

First tunic is a Lieutenant Colonels Highland cutaway tropical tunic for the HLI , Highland Light Infantry ( Local Glasgow Regiment)   WW1 up to 1953 unless dated to be more specific. Second tunic is a WW2 German Gebirgsjager officers mountain troop wind jacket with slip on lieutenants green piped shoulder boards. First belt is a stable belt for the Coldstream guards, second is also a stable belt I believe but without regimental colours and the third is a Scottish cross belt usually worn by pipers. Final tunic is a modern DPM combat tunic again for the Coldstream guards with the Army Commando qualification badge showing he was commando trained.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Kenny! I'm still going to check the Guards badges for hallmarks when I have time to sit down with a loop. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Missed replying to the last post here. The other items have already been described, but the jacket shown is a (lightweight) Windjacke issued to the Gebirgsjäger / mountain troops. This example has shoulder pieces of a Leutnant of the Gebirgsjäger. The jackets were generally worn without any insignia, but this officer has added his shoulder pieces. The jacket looks like a private purchase piece, differing slightly to the official issue, with individual tailoring.

20210407_112950.jpg

• Like 2