Sword Identification

Skylinechili

I came across two swords today in storage. I'm more familiar with blades of the Third Reich and trying to identify these.

First appears to be much older. Only blade and scabbard. The scabbard is made of leather. Blade is engraved. 

Second is a sabre in damascus that is stamped. 

Any help is appreciated as always. 

20210228_113525.jpg

20210228_113611.jpg

20210228_113642.jpg

20210228_113730.jpg

20210228_113858.jpg

20210228_113837.jpg

20210228_113805.jpg

• Like 3

First sword:
The scabbard tip to the bottom seems to be missing, the top fitting seems to be missing a part as well. I would say 18th Century, a presumably, infantry officer's sword (Degen) of one of the German states, unfortunate that the hilt is missing, the original hilt would look something like this style but even older:

Die Zietenhusaren - Rathenow - Geschichte und Geschichten - IOD aA

or:

Fricker Historische Waffen: Blankwaffen wie Schwert, Degen, Säbel, Dolch  sowie Richtschwert und Rapier - antike, alte

The second sword, a sabre, is Prussian, it has a guard emblem on the hilt, which has lost most of it's enamel, it is of the type of a Garde-Füsilier officer sabre (Füsilier batallions of the guards regiments).
The damascus blade has the marks of W.K & Cie., Solingen, the scabbard was worn with two rings up till 1910, thereafter one ring was regulation. Ring and ring band are of brass, which is typical of the fusilier officer's sabres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fritz,

Yes the scabbard tip is worn off. The leather is very old and fragile. I'm surprised it made it this intact! I may come across the hilt as I dig deeper in to storage. I'll definitely update if I do. Thanks!

• Like 3

Perhaps the other parts are also still somewhere?

• Like 2

Quite possibly, I'll use the photo you posted as reference and keep an eye out. One of the problems I'm having is understanding some of my father's methods. Yes he knew where things were and what they belonged to but for me It's a puzzle. For example; I also found a box today full of shoulder boards and buttons. Very cool but half I don't recognize and no labels. So my work continues! 

• Like 3

Post as many as the shoulder boards and buttons as you can,   I'm sure I can identify them for you.
As well as shoulder boards, there may be epaulettes as well?

• Like 2

You can find more examples of these shoulder straps under my post: Shoulder Straps of the Old Army  - under uniform section

Schulterklappen.jpg

• Like 3