US M1906 4.7 inch Shell

Gildwiller1918

Here is a nice sized US artillery shell, the M1906 4.7 inch (120 mm). Although approved in 1906, units did not begin to get them until 1911, and this gun was one of the few available to US forces at the outbreak of war. Around 60 guns were available to US forces when war was declared, however most US forces utilized British and French artillery instead. However 64 guns did make it to France and 48 of them saw service with 2 US artillery regiments. Most of these guns were most likely used in the US for training as the priority was to send men and ammunition overseas. Over 900 guns were ordered however only about 200 were completed, with nearly a million shells made by the end of the war. After the war, some of these guns were used in coastal artillery emplacements such as the Panama Canal, with the remainder kept in reserve storage until 1932. 

The shell contained about 4 pounds of TNT with 711 steel shrapnel balls with a 31 second timed fuse. The range of the gun was between 6650 (60 pound shell ) and 8000 (45 pound shell) meters depending on the shell used. Not a very common shell to find, much less complete. It is quite heavy to move around as well. 

af34973883ef7a9a6a7aea911e7f0209.jpg

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5066.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

• Like 3

The fuse cap looks very like the British made ones

• Like 3

Yes, the US supplied various shells and fuses to the British and French, the British used the QF 4.7 inch, as the US used the British guns as well. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I serve on a committee that is overseeing the construction of a new veterans memorial in my hometown of Taylorville, IL.  We have an M1906 that is being restored right now and we would love to have a 4.7” shell to display with it!  I have been looking everywhere for one.  Is this one for sale?  If not do you know where we can find one?  Thanks.

• Like 3

I do not know of any other sources for these shells at present. WW1 and WW2 ordnance seems to be drying up now. I do not plan on selling mine, but these shells when complete can be quite expensive.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

That’s too bad.  In that case I’d like to try to have a wooden replica made on a lathe but I can’t find the dimensions online.  Would it be asking too much to have you take the following measurements and post them here?  It would really help us make something for our Veterans Memorial.  Thanks so much if you can!

Diameters:

Rim

Case rear

Case mouth

Projectile rear

Projectile taper begin

Projectile tip

Lengths:

Overall

Rim

Case not including rim

Projectile rear to taper begin

Projectile taper begin to tip

• Like 4

Sure, I will work on getting the measurements for you. Have you considered 3D printing as well? Might be a possibility worth looking into. 

• Like 3

Diameters:

Rim: 5 1/4"

Case rear: 15 3/4" using OD measuring tape

Case mouth: 15 1/4" OD

Projectile rear: 14 3/4" OD

Projectile taper begin: 

Projectile tip: 

Lengths:

Overall: 32" roughly, as my fuse adaptor does not sit correctly in the shell. 

Rim: 1/8"

Case not including rim: 16 5/8"

Projectile rear to taper begin: length is from where the rotating band sits against the case.  9 1/2"

Projectile taper begin to tip: 5 3/4" 

Fuse: 2 1/2"

Rotating band: 1" wide

If you need any photos please let me know.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the measurements.  We should be able to use this information to make a sort of dummy round since the real thing is so rare.  It will be a nice addition to our veterans memorial.  Thanks again!

• Like 4

Not a problem, I do know another collector who has one and makes good 3D printed replicas of other ordnance. I could ask about getting one made if interested. 

• Like 3