Both genuine Krim shields ?

John333

Top shield is original, better pictures are needed of the lower version.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes this is the problem I’m having with the second also. I’ve asked the dealer if he would be kind enough to send me some photos which are clearer. 

• Like 4

It's really hard to make out the details on the lower shield, always difficult with shields at the best of times, but when the picture is blurred it makes it even harder. Also there are so many different makers and as they are not maker marked you have to judge it by eye alone, mix in the fakes and it is quite a time consuming process.         

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kenny andrew said:

It's really hard to make out the details on the lower shield, always difficult with shields at the best of times, but when the picture is blurred it makes it even harder. Also there are so many different makers and as they are not maker marked you have to judge it by eye alone, mix in the fakes and it is quite a time consuming process.         

7F574D99-B56D-484B-8A52-DF7814461F98.jpeg

A2A61A50-A508-4F97-8B37-B352D99A97BA.jpeg

• Like 4

Yes that one's ok too, amazing the difference a decent picture can make, in fact I now prefer that one to the top one.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very difficult to tell with some shields. Most Krim shields were toned, brass coated iron, otherwise made of zink with a thin bronze finish.   Sometimes the backing will give it away. A proper cloth shield is machine cut, you will find many inaccurately cut. Paper backings are always suspect, sometimes these will have an ink stamp of the maker mark, but that is no criterium. Stitch marks in the backing are also not always an indicator of originality, most originals have lost their paper backing. Shields have been faked and copied for many years now. In the 1960s good copies were available, which had apparently been produced using the original dies. The example in your photo looks as though it has never been stitched on a uniform, although it does have the correct shape and form.  Do you have a picture of the reverse of the shield?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A sort of paper backing - has obviously never been on a uniform. Not really keen on the appearance of the paper. Of course, a paper backing does not make it automaticly a fake, but it can make one suspicious. There are also badges, where a collector has re-applied a new cloth backing, at the best using scraps of original cloth, these being hand or scissor cut.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't say for certain. The front "looks" ok, the cloth is good if unissued, not enthralled about the paper.
Here is my example, not mint, as worn.

100_4740.JPG

100_4741.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've seen lots with that sort of paper backing, rust-stained and with stitch-marks, that is no guarantee...
The shield itself should never be made of brass, they were iron or zink, with a brass coloured coating.

• Like 4

The paper does look a bit odd but I think the badge is OK. Not keen on the stitch holes on the first badge, looks like someone has just stuck pin holes in it , no sign of where the thread has worn against the paper, but maybe that's just the photo.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All looks very nice, even some thread left, somehow the shield looks too nice and perfect, and too brassy, too clean. the shield looks as though it is made of brass, should not be, might be wrong, just the photo. When buying something like this, it is better to see it close up, a magnet test will reveal if it is iron or not. Zink, of course, will not respond to a magnet, but the shield above is clearly not Zink.

You should not buy on sources like Ebay, etc. Best to buy from a reputable source, and face-to-face, it may cost a bit more, but better than a "cheap deal".  Always take a small magnet with you. I would also avoid paypal!

I would say, this one looks reasonable, I don't know about the backing, the cloth also looks good, can't say if this was applied at a later stage, i.e., more recently, but certainly orderly. Generally looks like an unworn piece, but the shield has some loss of the brass finish, the iron showing through (which is ok), so it may be older than the cloth itself. I would tend to take another look at the reverse of this shield.

BF859790-C6F8-4273-B3AF-F06AFA86417C.jpeg

• Like 4

All 3 are from reputable dealers, what’s your opinion of the last one I posted it shows signs of wear etc .. is the shield itself good though ? 

• Like 4

I don't think I would go for that one, take a look at the eagle's head, not very distinct around the eyes, etc., compare with other examples.
Even honest dealers can be mistaken. It just doesn't look convincing enough. As I mentioned, you often find shields where someone has renewed or replaced the backing. Always better to get an original set. On the other hand, you may find a shield complete with the original metal backing plate, but without the backing cloth., still better than nothing, and you can see if the pins are correct, they should be flat.

• Like 4

Third shield is OK , no problem about the eye, that is a characteristic of Wilhelm Deumer of Ludenscheid, also the stitching holes on this one show the type of wear I would expect.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes I was literally about to write this after doing a bit of research i believe it denotes Deumer too. I prefer this to the others only because of shows signs of wear which i prefer personally which my medals and awards. 

• Like 4

This one would be a safe bet, magnetic, it has a very unusual backing, which you won't find often.
You can see this has been removed from a uniform.

krimschild-1941-42-auf-heeresstoff-eisen-bronziert.jpg

krimschild-1941-42-auf-heeresstoff-eisen-bronziert~2.jpg

krimschild-1941-42-auf-heeresstoff-eisen-bronziert~3.jpg

• Like 3