1912 Original Oscar Tellgmann military photos

newleaf4842

I inherited a small collection of (23) pre WWI Oscar Tellgmann, Eschwege black and white photographs, many signed and dated 1912. Also (1) Oscar Tellgmann cabinet card photograph and a blank German postcard. All inscriptions on the back of the photos are in pencil and appear to be in Oscar Tellgmann’s stylized hand. Fourteen photos have white, hand-inscribed numbers on photo front– characteristic of Tellgmann’s technique. Several photographs have a distinctive double lined “T” symbol or f-stop pencil notations inscribed on the back as well. One photo has an embossed logo and four others have a stamped logo in left back corner. I have researched Getty, Alamy and other online resources for O.T. images and only find one of the images I have.  Samples attached.

Would anyone be so kind as to advise what is the best way to proceed with the sale of these 100+ year old photos?

Is an auction house the best way to go?

Is an appraisal and authentication necessary?

Are scans or cell phone images of both front and back necessary/acceptable? Sm., Med., or Lg?

Would I need to establish a Venmo account? I am in the US.

Any advice you are able to give would be most appreciated. 

• Like 3

Hi Newleaf, welcome to the forum, in  order to post images on the forum they need to be in the jpeg format. I have saved the above images as jpegs for you using adobe photoshop.  This is more Fritz period, he should be able to help you regarding rarity and value. 

Generals IMG_0184 (1).jpg

CabinetCardBackIMG_0185 (1).jpg

SurvellianceIMG_0187.jpg

SurveillanceIMG_0188 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Oscar Tellgmann was Hof-Photograph of the Royal House, and by appointment to several other houses. He was based in Eschwege. He had several sons, who served in the army. For many years he had the privilege of photographing the annual Autumn manoevres. Photos are undated.  In the first photo, third from left with hand raised, is Großfürst Nikolai Nikolejewitsch (the uncle of Tsar Nikolai II.) with some of the staff of his Russian entourage as manoevre guests, which was customary. The officer in the foreground is probably the commander of one of the Prussian Husar Regiments, possibly Husaren-Regiment 8 or 11. Manoevre may have been in the Cassel district.

The second photo is of field artillery in action, as stated in pencil of Feldartillerie-Regiment von Podbielski (1. Niederschlesisches) Nr. 5, photo possibly of the manoevre in Schlesien, 1906 or 1913 in the area of Liegnitz.
Tellgmanns photos are quite well known and have been published in some books on the period. These particular originals would be quite valuable today, preferably all together and not split up. Cannot estimate a price.

• Like 2

Wow, Kenny & Fritz - Thanks for your assistance and input. I am from US and do not speak/read German, but I did several evenings of online research about the photographer. But I didn't know he had sons in the military. A couple friends have visited either Germany/Amsterdam and looked at the written inscriptions on the back of the photos. They were able to piece together a little of what was written there. Only four of the twenty-three photographs have hand inscribed dates. They all say 1912. Among the ones I have is the familiar #9 "Bound for Paris" train car photo with troops in the doorway and waving out the window. I have not seen or been able to locate any of the other photos I have online.  I contacted several auction houses over the weekend but have not heard back yet. Thank you again for all your help.  

• Like 3

You could try contacting the DHM - Deutsches Historisches Museum in Berlin, you will find them in the internet, I'm sure they have a contact address online.

Deutsches Historisches Museum
Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin

Tel.: 0049 30 203040
info@dhm.de

https://www.dhm.de/impressum/

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaisermanöver_(Deutsches_Kaiserreich)

a link explaining the Kaisermanöver from 1873 till 1913

• Like 3

I believe it was Getty or maybe Alamy where I saw photos of German troops moving boats along a road via horseback drawn wagons in mass - probably with intent to build a pontoon bridge. I have two photos among the ones in my grouping that show a finished pontoon bridge (not sure what river or city) with two generals initially inspecting the bridge on foot. I also have a second photo with a barge mounted over pontoon boats (underneath) transporting a large quantity of troops across the river with a cloaked commander on the dock waving his ?cane? and the aforementioned pontoon bridge in the background. 

• Like 3

Would it be wise to watermark the images  before I mount them online?

• Like 3

I don't think that would be necessary, the images have no copyright as they are over 70 years old. The Deutsches Historisches Museum
mentions Oscar Tellgmann on their online pages:

https://www.dhm.de/archiv/magazine/fotografen/tellgmann.html

Oskar Tellgmann, 1857-1936
Gustav Tellmann, 1888-1973

abb258

abb257

• Like 2

The river crossing photos are most interesting - especially after seeing the over land boat transport photos online. I find them interesting and I'm not even a collector. But I DO have a Museum background, having worked for the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg for over 15 years in their Education Dept. and having assisted Curatorial exhibitions many times. So I probably know just enough to get me in trouble! 

PontoonBridge-CommanderInspectionIMG_0208.jpg

PontoonBridge BackSideIMG_0209.jpg

RiverBargeMassTroopTransportIMG_0211.jpg

RiverBargeMassTroopTransport BackSideIMG_0212-2.jpg

• Like 3