NSKK Service Cap

Gildwiller1918

Here is a newly acquired NSKK Service Cap (Dienstmutze) or Kepi (Kappe), also called the "coffee can" by certain collector groups. These caps were worn by both enlisted and officers (with addition of tress to denote higher positions) and was introduced in 1936. It had a wool olive green body with a black top section and brown piping, with a black leather chin strap and a machine woven eagle, of which there are many variants, even metal ones earlier on. This version has a pressed paper sweatband that has torn in several places, which is not uncommon for these caps, as I have seen it in several others that were being offered. It has a RZM label and the liner is stamped 55 for the size. One black grommet is missing as well along the top of the cap, as well as some minor damage to the NSKK eagle. But overall a hard cap to find with zero moth damage. 

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_5025.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice, I bet that wasn't cheap. The trouble with the torn paper sweatbands is, that people have been pulling them down for years to see what is underneath, whether marked or stamped. This should be avoided, these are not easy to repair, and they gradually get worse until they finally fall to pieces and fall out, they usually break where the stitching is, and become completeley detached, and nobody bothers to properly repair or restore anything nowadays.

• Like 4

Yes Fritz, it was not cheap, but I wanted to get it for the NSKK uniform I already have. They seem to be getting hard to find, especially in good condition. Yes the paper sweat band is an issue, I am looking into ways to get it repaired and/or preserve it as well. 

• Like 4