Refurbished M42 Helmet

Gildwiller1918

Just got done refurbished a nice M42 helmet, which was a veteran bring back. I found this item at a local flea market. The helmet came with the original wood box used to mail it home. When I got the helmet, the leather parts were long gone, the helmet band and split pins were present. The paint was almost gone and it was mainly rust covered, however you could make out the remnants of the SS decal that was once on the helmet. Although I do not collect SS items, I decided to put the helmet back to its original look.  So I added some aluminum oxide powder to the cleaned outer shell then applied a decent period looking paint. The helmet is stamped E.F. 68 for Emaillerwerke, Fulda, 68 being the size of the shell which is a large one. There is an additional lot number stamp on the skirt below the rivet on the backside of the helmet, looks like "388". I eventually found a suitable replacement liner from an auction site, which was for this size helmet. 

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

IMG_4983.JPG

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

IMG_4988.JPG

• Like 4

Should never repaint helmets. Value of an original SS helmet today around 3000 - 4000 Euros! I doubt if you will ever find an original.

• Like 5

I understand Fritz, but the paint was virtually gone, and was concerned about the rust. I was more interested in preservation of the helmet itself. 

• Like 5

Great helmet and wonderful repaint.

I got a repainted m40 with Normandy type camouflage that have three colours on it. The previous owner repainted it and applied some aluminum oxide powder too to make it more original but I still think it's not good enough, and the helmet itself lacks manufacturing mark, seems scratched off, but I don't doubt its authenticity. I will find a way to upload the picture because the VPN I'm using is problematic..

• Like 4