New deactivated gun laws UK/EU

We have not had a de-act for sale since the EU changed the laws on them,  now we are out the EU that might change, however I don't think it will be a top priority for the government with everything else going on at the moment.  In my personal collection I had an Mp40, Mp44, Mp43, Mg34,Mg42,K98,Luger,P38 all the classics, plus loads of others for sale in the shop including British, US and Soviet. 

• Like 5

That was a nice collection of German hardware Kenny 👌 Hopefully the deactivation laws will change positively now we're out the EU but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

I think some dealers have started trading with de-activateds, but not certain, they state, UK sales only, no export to EU, nor to Scotland or N.Ireland.

• Like 3

Here are the new laws, basically you are only allowed to sell de-activated guns that were de-activated after the 28th of June 2018. They must all have the EU/UK certificate. If they don't you are not allowed to sell them or even give them away. On top of that the new regulations brought in more recently say even if you have the new EU/UK spec de-acts you need to register them on the links below and again when you sell them. I've heard these new de-acts are terrible with no moving parts basically a lump of metal. I don't think I'll even bother getting them back in stock with all this to do, unless the laws go back to the way they used to be which is probably unlikely.             

The Law on Deactivated Firearms was changed on the 8th April 2016 by the European Parliament under Regulation (EU) 2015/2403. Since the 8th April 2016 it has been illegal to sell a deactivated gun which does not have an EU endorsed deactivation certificate. 

On the 28th June 2018 the European Parliament again changed the EU Deactivation Law.  The Major Changes are for Bolt Action Rifles, Semi-Auto Pistols and Revolvers. After 28th June, these CANNOT be produced with Dry-Firing or Cycling Actions. After the 28th June 2018 if you wish to sell, trade, give, transfer etc. a deactivated firearm it must conform to Regulation (EU) 2018/337 and have the appropriate UK issued Proof House Certificate. 

The Authority requires you to register your collection of ONLY EU-UK 2018/337 Specification Deactivated  Guns possessed before the 12th December 2019.  This should be done on the 12th December 2019 or as soon as possible after that date by using the Possession Form in the link below. ONLY the Current Specification needs notification at this time. No previous old specifications.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/850643/Notification_of_possession_of_a_deactivated_firearm_to_the_appropriate_national_authority.odt 

If you dispose of any EU-UK 2018-337 certified deactivated guns after the 12th December 2019, you are required to notify the Authority using the Transfer Form in the link below.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/850642/Notification_of_transfers_of_a_deactivated_firearm.odt

Deactivations to the EU-UK 2015/2403 Specification (Deactivated from 8th April 2016 to 28th June 2018 with EU Certificate) do have to be notified for possession starting from 14th March 2021. As these fall under Section 8A of the Firearms Amendment Act these cannot be transfered. UK Specification Deactivated items (Deactivated prior to April 8th 2016) do not need to be notified.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fritz said:

I think some dealers have started trading with de-activateds, but not certain, they state, UK sales only, no export to EU, nor to Scotland or N.Ireland.

I'm by no means an expert on this subject but as a rule of thumb deacs sold in this country must conform to current EU specification and anything that strips cocks and dry fires can only be sold to countries not in the EU with the exception of the Channel Isles/IOW unless they are redeactivated  to the current spec. There are exceptions to this rule which involve 'old spec' weapons that were deactivated in 1987 and before .These can currently be sold as they are in the UK. Despite leaving the EU the situation remains the same as prior to leaving. Whether the days of being able to buy weapons that have old spec characteristics but are new spec deactivations remains to be seen. The current spec for a weapon being deactivated today would be; moving parts including the cocking lever but the bolt will have been cut & welded but at the same time allowing the cocking lever to move under spring pressure, the trigger and in some cases the semi/auto and safety switches. The mag will also detach/reattach but the mag housing internals on the weapon will have been altered and the mag itself will have a small piece cut out in the area of the follower in order to fit in the mag housing so in other words you couldn't fit a standard mag but most deacs will come with a mag that's been altered so in effect you can still remove the mag and 'slap it back on'. The weapon will not strip cock or dry fire and the barrel will have been blocked.

Edited by Achtung Spitfire!
unfinished
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, kenny andrew said:

Here are the new laws, basically you are only allowed to sell de-activated guns that were de-activated after the 28th of June 2018. They must all have the EU/UK certificate. If they don't you are not allowed to sell them or even give them away. On top of that the new regulations brought in more recently say even if you have the new EU/UK spec de-acts you need to register them on the links below and again when you sell them. I've heard these new de-acts are terrible with no moving parts basically a lump of metal. I don't think I'll even bother getting them back in stock with all this to do, unless the laws go back to the way they used to be which is probably unlikely.             

The Law on Deactivated Firearms was changed on the 8th April 2016 by the European Parliament under Regulation (EU) 2015/2403. Since the 8th April 2016 it has been illegal to sell a deactivated gun which does not have an EU endorsed deactivation certificate. 

On the 28th June 2018 the European Parliament again changed the EU Deactivation Law.  The Major Changes are for Bolt Action Rifles, Semi-Auto Pistols and Revolvers. After 28th June, these CANNOT be produced with Dry-Firing or Cycling Actions. After the 28th June 2018 if you wish to sell, trade, give, transfer etc. a deactivated firearm it must conform to Regulation (EU) 2018/337 and have the appropriate UK issued Proof House Certificate. 

The Authority requires you to register your collection of ONLY EU-UK 2018/337 Specification Deactivated  Guns possessed before the 12th December 2019.  This should be done on the 12th December 2019 or as soon as possible after that date by using the Possession Form in the link below. ONLY the Current Specification needs notification at this time. No previous old specifications.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/850643/Notification_of_possession_of_a_deactivated_firearm_to_the_appropriate_national_authority.odt 

If you dispose of any EU-UK 2018-337 certified deactivated guns after the 12th December 2019, you are required to notify the Authority using the Transfer Form in the link below.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/850642/Notification_of_transfers_of_a_deactivated_firearm.odt

Deactivations to the EU-UK 2015/2403 Specification (Deactivated from 8th April 2016 to 28th June 2018 with EU Certificate) do have to be notified for possession starting from 14th March 2021. As these fall under Section 8A of the Firearms Amendment Act these cannot be transfered. UK Specification Deactivated items (Deactivated prior to April 8th 2016) do not need to be notified.

Excellent detail as always Kenny and right in the money 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The latest law in the EU as from 1. September 2020 - no more deactivateds, no sale, no purchase, also no magazines over 20 rounds.
Small parts are still permitted, but what good is a collection of small parts only?

• Sad 3

Yes Fritz I was aware that there were changes a foot in the EU re deacts etc. 

• Like 3

I was not aware that "there are exceptions to this rule which involve 'old spec' weapons that were deactivated in 1987 and before .These can currently be sold as they are in the UK." are you sure this is correct Paul? Mind you the chances of finding a de-act deactivated before 1987 would be pretty slim I would imagine. 

• Like 2

In the EU there is no further trade whatsoever with deactivateds since 1. September 2019. The next step will probably render all possession illegal.
They may neither be bought, sold, nor exchanged or given as a present, except for a surrender to the authorities. I can image these would then be destroyed by the authorities. That would no longer apply to Britain since Brexit, where English legislation is binding.
I have heard about the treatment of collectors weapons where they are dismantled, the wooden parts are burned, and the rest is sent by a sealed delivery to a melting furnace for re-cycling of the iron/steel. Pure barbarism and ignorance. Also collectors are being increasingly harrassed by police, uniforms and all else confiscated. This is usually reported in the newspapers. What happens to these, unknown. A Militaria fair in Northern Germany was raided early this year, and a lot was confiscated. This fair had been held twice yearly for the past 40 years, without any complaints.  The Spanish police also recently raided and confiscated a "Nazi" collection, as I just heard.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, kenny andrew said:

I was not aware that "there are exceptions to this rule which involve 'old spec' weapons that were deactivated in 1987 and before .These can currently be sold as they are in the UK." are you sure this is correct Paul? Mind you the chances of finding a de-act deactivated before 1987 would be pretty slim I would imagine. 

Kenny you're correct you can't buy old spec in the UK. I stand corrected. Outside the EU only.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

EU no longer applys to Britain

• Like 3

Roger that 👌 Never say never though .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

EU no longer applys to Britain

There's more to it than that me thinks.

• Like 4

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to New deactivated gun laws UK/EU
  • Kenny Andrew pinned and featured this topic

Really confusing I have an old spec de-act mg34 with Birmingham proof house very. Had it for years. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Yes it's a nightmare, it's legal for you to have it, but you can never sell it or even give it away. Unless you get it deactivated to EU/UK spec which will totally ruin it and could end up costing as much as the gun is worth. Then you need to inform the Home Office Serious Violence Unit that you have it and give them your name and address, then if you do sell it, you need to inform them again and give them the name and the address of the person you sold it to.    

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mr bridger said:

7951857C-DF79-4281-B46D-B66358C40C18.jpeg

Keep it under your hat!

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

Here's the latest I saw on an Australian page...(!)

Attention customers in Tasmania, Victoria, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory and South Australia. Due to state/territory licensing requirements we cannot send this item to you unless you provide a valid permit to own replica weapons in your locality. Please email a copy..

A licence to own a copy, amazing!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wow, seriously, you need a permit to have a replica weapon? Sounds like a cash grab to me. 

• Like 3