1939-45 Star with corrosion

Fritz

Have seen an otherwise good 1939-45 star on offer. Does anyone have any recommendations about cleaning or restoring
such an example, other than plain metal polish?

grossbritannien-2-weltkrieg-the-1939-1945-star.jpg

grossbritannien-2-weltkrieg-the-1939-1945-star~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

If you have not bought the medal I would leave it, they are very common I have lots of them and sell them for £15 each in excellent condition. If you have already picked it up, best way to remove verdigris is get a tube of cheap toothpaste and a soft toothbrush. Put a little toothpaste on the brush and brush in the direction of the metal. Wipe it clean with a soft cloth, once you have removed all the verdigris, rinse the item and dry it completely before storing it away. If that does not work you will need to get out the Brasso.   

• Like 3

No, I haven't purchased it, I was just wondering about the chances of restoring it. I know they are common, but not over here, I think the dealer wanted about 25 Euro for it, which is more than UK prices. I have taken time about getting one of these. About 50 years ago I had all the stars, except Aircrew.

• Like 3

If you want any Fritz, just let me know and I will look out nice examples for you. We usually have all the stars in stock except the Air crew Europe. Mind you at the moment with all the chaos going on I think we might be low on some stars but once things get back to normal we should have plenty available.     

• Like 3