Identifying 2 WWI/WWII helmets found in my late fathers' belongings

Sue VS

Hi, I've just been sorting through my late  parents' belongings and come across these two helmets and been doing some research. The one marked MB on the front I think must be earlier and maybe WWI but I'm not sure. The second with what looks like an owl on the side I assume from my research and the shape this must be WWII but again cannot find anything similar. I cannot see any marks on the helmets or the linings but both are in great condition. Would love it for anyone can give me any more information or advise where I can look. Thank you. Sue 

133207613_696683231034245_2110780514192407275_n.jpg

132428234_228127332098424_1245900018596236468_n.jpg

132877546_862123197695381_6271568334096263484_n.jpg

134650927_303340264449162_6101128768442910236_n.jpg

• Like 5

Both helmets are World War 2 period. First helmet with MB to the front is a civilian type helmet with laced in liner, similar to that used by Fire Watchers during the air raids, however the green paintwork might indicate something else, perhaps the MB stands for mobile bomb disposal units(?), just a guess as never seen one like that before. Both helmets are in a very good condition, probably because they were in a box so long, free from dust and rust.

The second helmet is definitely a military type, presumably army with that type of finish. The symbol does look like an Owl 's head, no idea of the significance, possibly a symbol for vigilance - Royal Observer Corps(?) -  perhaps some of the helmet experts on the forum can give more information on this. Otherwise further research in internet might reveal something.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Sue, both helmets are from the WW2 period the first with the letters MB is a Zuckerman  helmet which were used by

civilian  volunteers in various roles , is there a letter M or L stamped near the hole this was the size of the helmet, if you look at the helmets

index you will see a post about Zuckerman helmets not sure what the MB stands for.

Second helmet is a brodie helmet, if you look inside the liner were the X shape rubber is there should be stamp marks on the metal cross bands

normally makers letters and date, no idea what the emblem is.

• Like 4

Two very unusual helmets , I have never come across that insignia either. Both South African and Polish squadrons used owls as there insignia during WW2 perhaps there is a connection. 

Polish 307 squadron was based at RAF Clyst Honiton, now Exeter Airport, defending the South West of England from enemy night bombers. The squadron  flew Defiants, Beaufighters, and Mosquito planes. In May 1942 when 40 Junkers-88 bombers attacked Exeter there were only four Polish 307 Squadron Beaufighters available to defend the city. Despite being heavily outnumbered the squadron managed to shoot down four of the German bombers before they dropped their bombs. The night-fighter squadron were dubbed the Eagle Owls.

South African Air Force No. 31 Squadron was a heavy bomber squadron based in the Mediterranean. The squadron flew B-24 Liberators over Crete, Ploesti and Warsaw. 31 Squadron was initially a Coastal bomber reconnaissance squadron, it was later converted to a heavy bomber squadron. On conclusion of hostilities the Squadron was used to ferry liberated POW's from Italy back to Britain and disbanded South African troops from Italy to Egypt. It was disbanded on 15 December 1945. 

The insignia on the Zuckerman helmet looks like it could be a company/factory logo as allot of war time factories would have these helmets in case of air raids.  

_86675135_owl.jpg

Polish 307 squadron insignia

180122154510_DSCF5356.jpg

South African Air Force No. 31 Squadron insignia 

• Like 3

Thank you so much for the replies. Good to have confirmation of the type of helmet which I thought but wasn't sure. There is no known link of my grandfather to poland/South Africa that  I know about but of course it could have been given to him by someone else. I found some of his old papers today in my mothers' things so I'm going to take a look through and see if there is any more info on his war history. There is too the possibility that one of them is from my Dad's side and there I have no information. Classic thing of I wish I had asked more when they were alive. I did in fact ask my Mum but she had mental health issues and often reluctant to talk about things but missed the opportunity to ask my Dad and grandparents. Once again I really appreciate you taking the time to provide the information above. Sue 

• Like 5

No problem Sue, if you find any interesting information in the papers please let us know, it would be good to try to find out what the helmets are. Also you grandfather could have been with these units as they were based in the UK, the Polish one anyway not sure about the SA as they were based in the Med but possibly in the UK at some point. Do you know in which service your grandfather served? The military helmet is an army helmet rather than airforce however they could have been guarding the base or maybe he swapped it with one of the vets. It is a very strange helmet the insignia looks like it might be representing a tank track?? very odd indeed.       

• Like 3