SS 8 year service medal??

John333

These medals, like all other SS items are highly faked. The originals were either bronze or later iron or zink with a black finish, they should have the teardrop shaped ribbon ring, as in the picture you posted.  The ribbon looks original, whether the medal is original or not, I cannot say, it certainly does not look old, the quality of the piece seems good, but that is no criterium. You would have to get some qualified expertises on this item.
I remember a friend of mine had a definite original in the late 1960s, I don't know what he paid for it, it had no ribbon, but did have the correct pear-shaped loop, and most of the original black finish. One of the few exotic pieces, which he had, including a Cholm Schild, also a definite original.

• Like 3

Hi John, as Fritz says there are some very good copies of the Eight year medal but this one looks OK 

• Like 4

I do also agree with Fritz, use caution and do your research on SS items, as they are very rare and heavily faked. I can offer no advice on the medal but for its supposed age it looks almost new. 

• Like 4

I've never been too comfortable with those lines which you can see in the top photo, which run along the front of the edge rim at 12 o'clock to around 3 o'clock on the photo. However I have seen others with this flaw and they seem to be accepted as original. Perhaps it is just the photo and the lines are not there in reality but that's the problem with trying to make a call with out having the item in hand.  

• Like 3

A further line added in my first post, "A friend of mine had..."

• Like 3

it should arrive tomorrow i will post photos clearer photos and get your opinions on whether i should keep it or not then fingers crossed its good.

• Like 4

Hi John,

Sorry I had to delete your last post, please read forum rule number 3)   

Forum Rules as follows

1) This is a friendly forum so there will be no abusive behaviour tolerated, no offensive or racist postings or political arguments.

2) There will be no discussion of Militaria dealers whither good or bad. We feel it is unfair to make comments about dealers when they are not in a position to defend themselves.

3) There will be no linking to or mentioning commercial websites. We feel this is only fair as they will not be returning traffic to us, this forum is free for members to use and is paid for entirely by the Treasure Bunker, it is designed so you can interact with members of the Treasure Bunker, share information and use as a data base. We do however encourage linking to informative, historical and non commercial sites.

4) The selling of items on the forum is not allowed, however for a £10 annual subscription you can become a Gold Member this will allow you to sell your own items in the Classifieds Forum free of charge for one year. This will be limited to ten items at any one time. To become a Gold member please use the subscriptions tab at the top of the forum.

These rules are in place to make sure everyone has a pleasant time and your co-operation is appreciated.

• Like 3

So, the medal has arrived and the dealer I bought it from sent me a completely different medal that is in worse condition and that he had up for less money on the website. I have called him and he said he would send me the one I paid for. I am not convinced this medal is genuine what do you guys think.... i thought id post it to get your opinions.

Image 27-11-2020 at 11.36 (3).jpg

Image 27-11-2020 at 11.36 (2).jpg

Image 27-11-2020 at 11.36 (1).jpg

Image 27-11-2020 at 11.35.jpg

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, kenny andrew said:

also i do apologies i did not realise your were not allowed to mention dealers on here i will keep that in mind in the future 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not commenting on the authenticity of the medal as this would be very time consuming to check but I see this one also has the flaw lines around the front of the rim, whilst as I say collectors seem to think this is acceptable, personally I would rather wait for one without the lines.      

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, kenny andrew said:

Not commenting on the authenticity of the medal as this would be very time consuming to check but I see this one also has the flaw lines around the front of the rim, whilst as I say collectors seem to think this is acceptable, personally I would rather wait for one without the lines.      

You’ve been so much help thanks 

• Like 4