WW2 German Anti-Air Missile

Gildwiller1918

The Germans began development of a viable surface to air missile in 1942 to combat the ever increasing allied air raids. The Rheintochter (Rhine Maiden) R 1 was a 2 stage missile that was actually tested and flown towards the end of the war. Between 1943 and 1944 over 80 were tested, but none reached adequate altitude, so the R 3 model was introduced, which had a similar 2 stage system, but was augmented with 2 side mounted boosters, similar to the space shuttle in design. 6 of these models were tested, however by this stage in the war, precious raw materials were needed elsewhere and the project was halted. The R 3 had a operational ceiling of about 20,000 feet and a range of nearly 40,000 feet and shot through the air at nearly 700 MPH, accelerating to Mach 1 in the first 1000 feet. There is not much else on information, such as guidance systems. As with the myriad of last minute wonder weapons, it came a little too late. However if introduced earlier it could have been a game changer. 

Below is a model representing the missile and its launcher. The second image shows the missile at the Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. after undergoing a restoration. The missile is now on display in the Deutsches Museum in Munich. 

Source, internet. 

hoover26.jpg

https___airandspace.si.edu_webimages_collections_full_A19660037000CP01.JPG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Rheinbote and Rheintochters.jpg

Rheinbote and Rheintochter (r), Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin

Muzeum Wyrzutnia Rakiet - Rąbka Łeba - sierpień 2017 - 10.jpg

Muzeum Wyrzutnia Rakiet - Rąbka Łeba, now Poland.
Had not heard of these Wunderwaffen / weapons before. The costs of production would have probably been too high.

• Like 3

I agree, I can't imagine the resources that went into these things. Although I am curious as to how effective they would have been, such as guidance systems, or proximity fuses, etc. I am not surprised you had never heard of them before, I did not know much about them myself, but that is a reason for posting, to help educate and enlighten.

• Like 3