WW2 Aviation Prints

Gildwiller1918

WW2 Aviation is one of my passions, and I also collect prints. I just recently acquired the print "Russian Roulette" by Robert Taylor, he is one of my favorite artists as well. His work is usually sold out and only available on secondary markets. This print is signed by 2 heroes of the Soviet Union; Lieutenant General Arseny VasilYevitch Vorozheikin, Major General Konstantin Mikhailovitch Treshyov. Also signed by 2 German Aces; Gernal Gunther Rall and General Johannes Steinhoff, lastly it has 2 signatures by Free French Air Force pilots; General Joseph Risso, Lieutenant Jacques De Saint Phalle who flew in the Normandie-Niemen squadron on the Russian Front. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

Here is another one in my collection from James Dietz, another very talented artist, titled: Warm Reception. It depicts the Battle for Guadalcanal and the aerial defense from Henderson Field. Nicknamed the "Flying Circus" Captain Joe Foss led his 12 planes against and enemy formation of over 100 planes. His leadership and skill payed off as his planes drove off the attacking force with no losses. He would eventually get the Medal of Honor in May of 1942 for his actions at Guadalcanal, in which his unit destroyed 72 enemy planes, with Foss getting credit for 26 victories. The print is signed by Joseph J. Foss, Capt., USMCR and three surviving members of  Flying Circus VMF-121: W.B. "Bill" Freeman, Lt., USMCR; Thomas W. Furlow, Lt., USMCR; and Roger A. Haberman, Lt., USMCR.

jd-pr-070.jpg

• Like 2

Another print, titled: Final Encounter, by Michael Turner. This print was done to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the war's end by depicting a dramatic and symbolic encounter between the RAF's top scoring Ace - Johnnie Johnson flying his Griffon powered Spitfire XIV - and Gunther Rall flying an Me109K-4, the very last variant of the famous Messerschmitt 109 family. The print is signed by AIR VICE-MARSHAL JOHNNIE JOHNSON, GENERAL GUNTHER RALL, GROUP CAPTAIN DENNIS DAVID, WING COMMANDER LADDIE LUCAS.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 3

Here is another one I have titled: Yeager's First Jet", by Roy Grinnel. It depicts a P-51 piloted by Charles "Chuck" Yeager flying over a ME-262 he downed. Flying his P-51D on a fighter sweep over Germany on 6 November 1944, Captain Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager, of the 357th's 363rd Fighter Squadron, scored the group's first jet victory. As he described the event in his combat report, "I spotted a 262 approaching the field from the south at 500 feet. He was going very slow (around 200 m.p.h.). I split S-ed on it and was going around 500 M.P.H. at 500 feet. Flak started coming up very thick and accurate. I fired a short burst from around 400 yards and got hits on the wings. Had to break off at 300 yards because the flak was getting too close…looking back I saw the jet E/A crash-land about 400 yards short of the field in a wooded field. A wing flew off outside the right jet unit. The plane did not burn."  This was his 8th victory and he finished the war with 11 1/2 kills. Chuck Yeager went onto fame for breaking the sound barrier in 1947 while piloting the Bell X-1. 

yeager-s-first-jet-by-roy-grinnell-me262-p-51-16.jpg

• Like 2