WW1 Era US Babbit Rifle Grenade

Gildwiller1918

Here is another rare item, one I wished I had. This is the Babbit Rifle Grenade Mk. 2 which was designed for use in the M1903 Springfield rifle. This grenade was in use from 1911 to 1917 and is made of cast iron or steel with and outside with grooves for fragmentation. The top has a threaded center for the detonating cap, the other components were loaded from the base, which also had a threaded opening for the rod. These grenades were issued in bandoliers and were individually sealed with a blank cartridge. There are also training versions that look similar, except the say "Dummy" on the body of the grenade. These were possibly used in the Poncho Villa/Mexican expedition in 1916, and are very rare to find today. 

Image source, internet

Babbitt1.jpg

Babbit Rifle Grenade.jpg

Babbitt_grenade.jpg

• Like 3

• Gildwiller1918 changed the title to WW1 Era US Babbit Rifle Grenade
  • 1 year later...

Here is a genuine Babbit Rifle Grenade with the correct rod. The rod has segmented lines that allow a ring to be moved up and down, to allow for distance. 

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5843.JPG

IMG_5846.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

IMG_5847.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Here is a Pre-WW1 image of US soldiers training with the Babbit Rifle Grenade. Image is from the National Archives.

165-ww-149B-027.jpg

• Like 2

A rare find indeed. Your lucky day.  Where did it show up? From a collection, gun show,  high end auction, flee market, or from a friend? Does it have a story.

• Like 4

The Babbit shown above was borrowed from a friend of mine who has an extensive collection. From time to time I borrow rare items to make resin copies of until I can get the real thing.

• Like 3