WW1 Propaganda Art

Gildwiller1918

Here is a interesting item, a unique item I found awhile back. It is a idealized rendering of WW1 US forces driving the Germans back, clearly it is propaganda, as no one was marching into combat with flags at this point. But this piece does show how information control affected the population back then. Most people only knew what they were told, and read in newspapers and books that were censored. Also it depicts only US forces beating the enemy, this may have been a piece used in war bond drives. I have had this conversation a lot, about who won the war. It was a collaborative effort, no one nation ended the war, but rather they all worked together more or less to end hostilities. Unfortunately the Armistice was only a 20 year time out. Nice piece that displays well on my walls anyway. 

IMG_4927 (2).JPG

IMG_4930 (2).JPG

IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Gildwiller1918:

Hello. Nice artwork, is the glass curved? Surely not a common piece up on any wall today. Thank you for sharing with the Forum.

Best regards, John R.

• Like 5

Hello John, yes the glass is curved outwards, a typical look for frames in the US at the time. 

• Like 5

Gildwiller1918:

Thank you for the reply to my question . I could not tell from photo., but after further study see the shadow caused by the glass. I have a framed family photographs with same glass curved outward. Once again, thank you.

Best regards, John R.

Edited by John R.
Added Text
  • Like 5

Not a problem John, always more than happy to answer any questions.

• Like 3