USMC helmets of WW1

Panzerman

I have 2 EGA ( Eagle, Globe, and Anchor) emblems that are reportedly from USMC helmets of WW1 but in the little reading I have done there doesn’t seem to any official emblem, marking etc..  it seems it was an individual Marine thing. Can someone enlighten me?

• Like 4

Hello, first of all, not an expert in this area, but from what I read was that the affixation of the EGA on helmets was not very widespread or official. Since there were very few Marines that were in France in WW1, I would be hesitant in acquiring any without due diligence and research. Do you have any pictures you can post? This would help to determine if they are correct for the period. Also, there are a tremendous amount of fakes out there as well as USMC helmets sold as authentic reproductions. 

• Like 3

image.thumb.png.d7fd9c0f454554ac4a06109b6dc7aa51.png

• Like 4

I had it propped up against the helmet as I had seen several pictures of but the placement can be higher or lower, there did not seem to be a norm. Thee is a threaded screw stud on the back side for attaching to a collar or part of a uniform. I have no idea if the EGA is period correct.  The other EGA is identical but wife has it locked in her jewelry box.  The exposed rope on anchor on globe, in my time in the Marines, signified an Officer's emblem but that may not have been the case when this EGA was produced.  Though it is older than 1988-2012 (my days) I don't know how old.

• Like 4

I have seen several USMC helmets where there are at least 2 holes. First hole was lower, then the user decided to paint a unit emblem resulting in the second hole being higher. Your EGA looks like the pattern used from 1914 to 1922. Although not really rare, they are hard to find in your condition. Do you have the washer and roller? Below is an example from my WW1 USMC Campaign Hat.

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4912.JPG

• Like 3

No unfortunately I do not. The stud is not in good shape either as it is bent and cracked but of interest was the length; it’s roughly an inch long. Thank you for the information and photos. I appreciate it 

• Like 4