M1939 Training Egg Grenade

Achtung Spitfire!

I'd like your opinion on this please Gildwiller1918 as you are a bit of a restoration guru it has to be said. So here we have a rare M1939 Training Egg Grenade examples of which are pretty hard to come by. At some stage on its journey its been painted grey after starting out red. However on the plus side it is complete and in relatively good shape. The question is,what would you do with it restoration wise? Not mine by the way but perhaps 🤔

20201021_150128.thumb.jpg.3c132cc150dd1aa783535f64045f1941.jpg

• Like 4

Well, if it were mine and I wanted to restore its appearance, I would first start by inspecting the metal, both inside and out. Check the condition, are there and areas of heavy pitting or areas that look repaired? If not you can proceed to cleaning off the body, I would sandblast the old paint. Once clear, inspect the metal again. Slowly fill holes and pitted areas with a putty or resin that can harden, sand till smooth. The band at the center would be the same thing, you just have to apply small amounts and go slow. Once you have the exterior they way you want it, then you can paint it red again if so desired. This process can take several weeks to do, so patience is a must. Just about anything man made can be restored, just depends on the time, money, materials, and skills you want to invest. 

• Like 3

Thanks for such an informative response much appreciated.If its still for sale further down the road I may purchase it. It's down to my latest purchase an M24 1938 training/practice stick grenade that generated interest in the egg version. This M24 is in excellent original condition. It's not landing for a while though, I'll post pics etc when it does. Cheers

• Like 3