WW1 Turkish Grenade

Gildwiller1918

Here is a WW1 era Turkish Grenade, the 1914 No. 2 model. It was a cast iron body with a brass fuse. It had a inscription on the side which translated to "type 2 infantry grenade". Additionally it had a notch on the grenade body to allow for a ring to used to attach to equipment. Like most other Central Powers nations, they relied on Germany to supply their needs, pretty much from 1915 onwards, the Turks were supplied with German made or captured arms and equipment. These No.2 grenades are an interesting and unique model. I have had one on my wish list for some time. 

turkno11.jpg

• Like 5

Nice condition especially the inscription.First time I've heard the translation so nice one. Nice use of an O Ring to sit it on. I had considered that idea for my spherical grenades. Is it yours or is it still on the wishlist? There's one been on sale for ages at a dealers over here but they command top money, £400 is the price but they tend to be around that price. When they do come on the market they get snapped up quickly.Apparently this grenade is often faked but I don't know how good they are. For me if I bought the real deal the inscription would need to be in good condition. On my wish list too. Number 1 actually.

The grenade in question. Does have the belt ring although a different type it would appear though the split could be out of sight perhaps.Replica fuse obviously and a different type. I've seen this type before but the fuse in your photo is the more common.Not seen an original fuse to date, always a replica. Tempting though even though its not in top condition but the inscription is pretty intact. Got a few duplicate grenades to sell so maybe 🤔

20200924_215033.thumb.jpg.db6998fde1f7149dff59c4cacc09be1a.jpg

• Like 4

The Turkish grenades are an area of mystery to me still. I would love to have one for the collection, but the are even more rare here then where you are at, and would probably cost more as well. The original fuses and caps would most likely be replicas as most of the examples for sale were dug or in storage so long the parts were most likely cannibalized or stolen. I would grab one at any condition, and once a better one comes along, sell off the inferior one. 

• Like 3

Well I have a few duplicate grenades to sell so maybe I'll finance one that way. The one pictured is a fairly good example I'd say. Seen worse. Looks the real mcoy anyway. They are so hard to come by so grab one when can sounds a good way to go. 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Sorry, I do not own one, pictures used were found off the internet. I would love to have one for my collection at some point.

• Like 2