WW1 Italian SIPE

Gildwiller1918

Here is a WW1 era Italian SIPE grenade, SIPE is an acronym for Societa Italiana Prodotti Esplondenti a company that made explosives and ordinance for the military. However, not much else is known about these grenades. 

There are several variants to the body shape and manufacture but they all look fairly close alike, the fuses are another matter. Most encountered today are missing the fuse or only have a partial fuse. Most were made from zinc, lead, or brass. Some of these were percussion in operation, similar to French versions, others you had to remove the cap and light the fuse manually. The one pictured below came with a partial lead fuse, which I have restored somewhat based upon pictures of intact versions. The grenade body itself looks fairly modern in design, looking similar to the French F1 and US Mk II grenades. 

IMG_4793 (2).JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

• Like 5

Nice job on the fuse resto. I managed to land a SIPE the other day with a fuse of sorts so I was happy to find it20200831_105310.thumb.jpg.aa87a50da186d33f06127c1a5396b4b5.jpg

20200831_105411.thumb.jpg.82581e3870966c30ee8f0291d52380c6.jpg

• Like 5

Great find on the SIPE, it is really hard to find them with fuses intact, as most are dug examples. 

• Like 5