German Discushandgranate 1915

Here is a WW1 era German Discushandgranate, M1915. The M1915 was an improvement over the M1913 model and looked very similar in appearance, main visible difference was the M1915 had brass end screws that screwed into the plunger assembly, leaving a lower profile, versus the M1913 had the plunger stick out more with caps that screwed on, leaving more protruding from the grenade then was needed. Upon pulling the pin, the thrower would spin the grenade in flight, which the plunger would spin outwards, once stopped the plunger would move towards the center and detonate the grenade. There were issues with these grenades, such as duds, and if they soft landed they could possibly be picked up and used against the attackers. Still, an innovative approach to designing the right weapon for the right situation. 

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4651.JPG

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

One of my first and favourite grenades. Also known as a turtle grenade on account of its appearance. All original including pin and ring. Just a little pitting on the underside.

20200825_145345_resized.jpg

20200825_145234.jpg

20200825_145252.jpg

• Like 4

Nice Turtle, do you have the defensive model as well? Most encountered today are the offensive type, these have the smooth interiors, the defensive has serrated fragmentation inside. I don't have this one yet, also the M1913 model is on my wish list as well....

• Like 3

No I don't though I know the version you refer to. Never seen one for sale so its on the list.

Got some nice examples of Austrian/Hungarian grenades land recently I'll post them shortly.

• Like 4

Here are some images of the discus grenade, only way to tell if its offensive or defensive is to open up the shell. Note the fragmentation on the interior. The ones I have are the smooth body types, no fragmentation. The frag types look a little thicker, possibly heavier as well. 

rs=w_600,h_600.jpg

tsr_310_1_7.jpg

• Like 4

Ah I see. I was thinking about a smaller looking grenade with a similar shape. See photo. I'll have to take mine apart and have a look.

20200904_151724.thumb.jpg.77903f4d4c42efe19ed00ccc812beee6.jpg

• Like 4

The one you shown in the post above is the earlier model, the M1913. Those are much harder to find. 

• Like 4

I know !

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Interesting image of a Discus hand grenade crate, note the 2 different sizes of the grenade.

4729c8fde89ddd86c7e87a26a095459e.jpg

• Like 4

Great photo and to see both offensive and defensive grenades at the same times.

• Like 4