WW1 British No. 2 Grenade

Here is a WW1 era British No. 2 MK 2. grenade. These were developed by Martin Hale, and were a impact fuse type. The pin was pulled, releasing a striker pin that ignited the primer, which would start the fuse. The grenade was filled with high explosive and had a brass body with a fragmentation ring added. The wooden handle had 4 cloth streamers or tails to help stabilize the grenade when thrown. Everything is original minus the pin and fuse cap assembly. 

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

• Like 5

Great condition.Even the tails are original?

Looks very similar to a number 19 grenade. 

• Like 4

Yes the tails are original, however the white twine holding them bound up is not. Yes, it is similar to a number 19, I actually saw one for sale recently but it was missing the handle and tails, just the body was available, but still thinking of getting it as they don't come up often. 

• Like 3

There's a UK auction tomorrow at 11am UK time, Towcester Northamptonshire. Amongst other things there's a number 19 up for grabs although it doesn't look entirely original. I currently have the winning bid on a number 15 grenade (cricket ball).

Always fun to watch

• Like 3

I checked out the auction, that number 19 looks nice. The handle and streamers look like replacements. Just to put into perspective, one here in the same condition runs almost $700 just for the upper portion. They also have a real nice Austrian schwere grenade and stokes mortar round, would love to get those. The cricket ball grenade looks good as well. I have one that is in decent condition, I know of a vendor in the UK that makes replacement fuses for those. 

• Like 3

The number 19 is a nice bit of kit. It is missing the flat round part at the end I think that's what sets it off on impact? There's a complete number 19 for sale at a dealership over here and thats priced at around $900 US. Its worth noting that there are big add on fees at the auctions of 29% so you have to take that into consideration plus the postage is really expensive.

I have a large Schwere in the post it should be landing this week. Doesn't have the complete fuse like the one on the auction does but I'll try and make a copy. The number 15 is tidy and the top comes off which is a big plus. A lot of them are rusted on. I have a replica fuse for a number 15 I wonder if its from the same vendor. I'll let you jnow if I have the winning bid. Took delivery of an M16 helmet yesterday with period textured camouflage paint, an ET66. Displaying it with a replica period gas mask the display just needs more detail to finish it. Also received an 1885 89mm French Ball Grenade with an original fuse. That will pair up nicely with the 1914 85mm model which I also have. I'll do a post on the ball grenades some time.

• Like 4

The liner has been replaced at some time but its a nice bit of kit just the same. 20200704_113254.thumb.jpg.a29c55444a8239177e1babcb6c107e53.jpg20200704_113313.thumb.jpg.596af9cf47ad26f6bb96e7ebc18da14a.jpg20200704_113332.thumb.jpg.1efacae8102a1481e6817fa70d00488d.jpg20200704_113427.thumb.jpg.d48dbaf0aa82f85b6cc6d2430e5ad129.jpg20200704_113411.thumb.jpg.79ed57ea51444c270aadb498342f8884.jpg

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing more of your items, great stuff!

• Like 4

Looking forward to sharing them !

• Like 4

Got the number 15 at the auction for fair money. Happy with that,nice example. The number 19 went for around $220 so some one got a bargain.Received the Hexagonal Russian grenade today along with the large Schwere, an Austrian Zeitzunder Universal Grenade and a Austro - Hungarian M16 Universal. I'll do some posts over the next few days.

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing your new goodies.

• Like 3