WW2 US Paratrooper helmet

Gildwiller1918

Here is a WW2 era US M2 Paratrooper helmet. It differed from the M1 helmet with its distinctive "D" shaped bales versus the fixed rectangular bales that were standard for everyone else. It was found however these bales on both helmets were prone to breaking off, even more so with the paratroop models. The solution for the rank and file members was to remove the fixed bales and add swivel bales. M2 helmets were more or less phased out for the M1C helmets which were introduced later in the war, main differences were in the liner and chinstraps. It was not uncommon for field repairs to be done on the fixed and "D" bales, and it was also common later in the war for paratroops to use the standard M1 helmet, and liner, although most used the paratroop liners, which had extra attachment points for the chinstrap. 

This helmet was made by McCord and has a heat lot number of 194B which puts it to about mid 1942. When I found the helmet the bales were broken off and it was rust covered. I sandblasted it and re-applied newly made bales then painted it with the cork texture added. I can't say for certain its an authentic M2, but the heat lot seems to fall into the correct range of numbers. It also has the front seem. The liner is made by Inland and the shell is an original along with the A frame chinstrap harnesses. The other internal components were pretty much gone when I found it. I have replaced all the internals with authentic reproductions.  The outside of the helmet has a net with original scrim strips and a repro first aid pouch. The chinstraps are new as well. 

Finding a all complete M2 helmet is nearly impossible and quite expensive, they are running easily into the thousands of dollars.  

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

IMG_4351.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

• Like 4

The shell looks like a repaint on the outside.

• Like 3

states in the description he sandblasted it because it was rusty 

• Like 4