Could anyone help me to identify this EK2 badge authentic or not ?

James Su

Hey guys ,I found my EK2 badge which has a crack at the middle of edge ,and Im wonder is this common sign for an authentic badge ?  Could anyone tell me this badge is real or not ? (Please see the picture blow) Thanks.

C31F16D2-9A01-4630-8508-FEDFCEAE6B16.jpeg

7C87B1F6-474C-4E8E-86C9-A3A19AF9645C.jpeg

B23F5DE0-80EF-4B6D-9937-E0170F34733A.jpeg

B9D41823-CDAA-46B3-BC5A-24804568F6BC.jpeg

• Like 4

This does tend to happen.  Sometimes the iron core also gets broken, as cast iron is rarer fragile, occasionally seen on older examples, 1870, 1914, etc.
I have a  1914 1st class example, it has the same fault in several places.
The decoration looks original, the ribbon also. Look for a number stamped into the ring, this is the manufacturer code.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I see , thank you.  By the way it’s doesn’t has maker mark , is that possible to identify the maker of this badge from the photo ? 

• Like 4

Yes but it is quite time consuming, collectors who specialize purely in iron crosses should be able to identify it quite quickly by it's specific characteristics such as type and height of swastika, type of beading etc. but always easier with a maker mark.      

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Yes quite common,seperation of the frames on even  1939 versions are out there. Nice cross. Wolf.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

James as Kenny said,there are people out there who know almost straight up who made it. I think it's in their blood. Here is one I have that doesn't have a maker stamped on the ring, but have been told it's def genuine & he also gave me the makers name which where I have filed I don't know. Cheers Wolf.

DSC00303.JPG

DSC00304.JPG

• Like 5

I see,its pretty similar to mine badge,and its a beautiful piece too. Since I love WWII Germany war history ,so I bought this badge  as a history memorial piece ,I dont know to much about it and I hope I can discovered more information about this interesting historical artifact ,in your experts opinion ,if you take a guess ,where would you think those badge were made from? (Which part of the Third Reich ?)Thanks.

• Like 4

James. As Kenny said it can be very time consuming if it's not something you specialize in. I have a few pieces I have researched myself by directly comparing features to other genuine awards, but that is when you know the maker & want to determine wether the piece is genuine or not. Look up a USA site  E-medals & go to WW2 German Wehrmacht awards, Iron Crosses 2nd class. They will have dozens of them, but see if you can compare any of them to yours. They will all look the same at first, but they arn't. Or maybe google how to determine a maker of a particular Iron Cross. Good luck mate. Cheers Wolf.

• Like 5

Am not an absolute expert on iron crosses, but I will take a guess, could it possibly be from the maker 65 (not always marked), which is Klein & Quenzer in Idar-Oberstein/Taunus, there could be many more possibilities, you would have to compare with other examples. The ribbon looks like a good original as well.

• Like 4

Well ...all you guys are expert to me. Yeah ,I have checked online , 65 is pretty similar to my badge ,it is a good start , I will do more research for the other sample of badges in future. Thank you Fritz and Thank you all you guys😊

• Like 4

Look at or examine as many original examples as possible, that will bring experience and confidence.

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse Hersteller 65 | Archiv | Trave Militaria - Orden  und Ehrenzeichen

1st Class (pinback) marked on pin with "65" - Klein & Quenzer

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939 im Etui | Militaria-Reisig

Ring on 2nd Class example with "65" mark

ww2 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse Hersteller 22

and here "25", stamps are not always so clear - 25 stands for = Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Graveur-, Gold- und Schmiedeinnungen

Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse 1942 3. Reich 3.Reich Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse mit  Tüte, Ring ohne Hersteller guter Zustand, | MA-Shops

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It's a good original medal (not a badge). I've sent you a PM with some ideas about identification of the maker. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Could be Paul Meybauer, Berlin

• Like 2