WW1 US Signal Corps Lamp Set

Gildwiller1918

Here is an interesting item, a WW1 era US Signal Corps battery powered signal lamp kit. I love oddball items such as this by the way. So this kit was used pre-WW1 and probably would have been used into WW1 if not for advances in radio and field telephones. Although this and other obsolete items were still in the manuals of the time, realistically it most likely was not used in WW1. This kit typically consists of a leather belt and suspenders, a small leather box capable of holding 1 battery and a key switch, this was used to communicate Morse. Additionally a spare battery box was worn that held 4 extra batteries, and sometimes a larger shoulder strap leather box could be used that held 5 batteries and had a lamp hook up and signal key (shown on back of mannequin). I got this kit complete in the original packing crate, which held 4 lamps, and several leather straps, as well as extra batteries, which were wrapped in paper, and spare bulbs (these are particular hard to find spares for). The batteries were 3 volt and lasted about an hour if constantly used. I did test one of the original batteries, added water and charged it, and it still worked! 

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

f1bf1c22e01c6cfac861ec163cf78421.jpg

• Like 6

Here is the single battery box, inside were 2 wood strip dividers that held the battery in place and the quick connect wires ran over the top of the wood to the lamp connection, the big brass circular opening in the picture.

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4183.JPG

• Like 6

Here is the spare battery box that held 4 batteries. It has belt loops on the back side to be worn on the belt. 

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4174.jpg

• Like 6

Here is the larger box that held 5 batteries, this could also be worn on the belt, however it is fashioned with a shoulder strap, which allowed for freedom of movement. 

IMG_4184.JPG

• Like 5

Currently I have 4 lamps, which are all in working order, the 3rd lamp (L-R) is still in its original brown wrapping paper. The next image shows how the lamp connected to the boxes. These lamps had a belt clip that could be worn on the operators belt, and just hand held, however the handle was hollow allowing for a wood shaft to be used to increase elevation. 

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4190.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg

• Like 6

Here are the batteries themselves, most I have are dated Sept-Nov 1918. The last picture shows one in the original wrapping. 

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Here is an image from the US Army Signal Corps Museum, you can see the lamp and battery box on top by the sandbags. 

Signal Corps 1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting.  I have this same set in the crate. Our batteries are dated 1912. Our lights do have the belt clips still attached. I couldn't find these items anywhere but from your post.

• Like 5

Hi Claudette, I have just answered your email, if you could post your photos here Gildwiller should be able to help you with a valuation.

• Like 4

Hello Claudette, I also have the crate, but a small section is damaged and will have to be replaced. Its on my "to do" list. Does your crate have the spare bulbs as well? I look forward to seeing what you have. 

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Finally found the manual/pamphlet that was included in the crate, there were 3 complete sets in the crate, each with its own manual. 

IMG_7063.JPG

IMG_7064.JPG

IMG_7065.JPG

IMG_7066.JPG

IMG_7068.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

• Like 6

I will be repairing the crate and will post images once done, I am also planning on making a replica for display use at shows, etc. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Awhile back I wanted to see if the bulbs and batteries still worked for these sets. The bulbs lit up when power was applied (see images below). The batteries, after being filled with water, did work as well and would power the light, amazing after all these years. 

IMG_20190906_193807163.jpg

IMG_20190906_193808485.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gildwiller1918:

Awesome militaria, in excellent condition.  Thank for sharing with the Forum.

John R.

• Like 4

Thank you John, I appreciate your kind remarks.

• Like 3