SS-Panzer Division "Das Reich" from the Eastern Front to Oradour-sur-Glâne

Fritz

Documentary

• Like 4

Very interesting, around the 40 minute mark it looks like there is a addition of a movie scene, any idea where its from? At 44:50 there is a soldier firing a US M1917 Enfield rifle, thought that was a little strange, but I know that functional weapons for movies/TV, especially older ones took what they could get at the time.

• Like 4

Gildwiller the film is called "Come and see" it's a very strange film to say the least. I remember seeing it when it first came on TV and had to switch it off half way through. When it was released on DVD I bought it and watched it again. It's well worth getting on DVD but whither you will watch it more than once is a different question. It is very accurate allot of the uniforms and equipment are original. Regarding the M1917 Enfield rifle, this could be accurate too perhaps WW1 or Soviet Lend-lease capture.

Come and See is a 1985 Belarusian anti-war film filmed in the Soviet Union. Directed by Elem Klimov and starring Aleksei Kravchenko and Olga Mironova, its screenplay written by Elem Klimov and Ales Adamovich is based on the 1978 book I Am from the Fiery Village. The film's plot focuses on the Nazi German occupation of Belarus, and the events as witnessed by a young Belarusian partisan teenager named Flyora, who against his parents' wishes joins the Belarusian resistance movement, and thereafter depicts the Nazi atrocities and human suffering inflicted upon the Eastern European villages' populace. The film mixes hyper-realism with an underlying surrealism, and philosophical existentialism with poetical, psychological, political and apocalyptic themes.

Come and See received generally positive critical reception upon release, and received the FIPRESCI prize at the 14th Moscow International Film Festival. It has since come to be considered one of the greatest films ever made. Come and See had to fight eight years of censorship from the Soviet authorities, before the film was finally allowed to be produced in its entirety. The original Belarusian title of the film derives from Chapter 6 of The Apocalypse of John, where in the first, third, fifth, and seventh verse is written "Come and see" as an invitation to look upon the destruction caused by the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Chapter 6, verses 7–8 have been cited as being particularly relevant to the film:

"And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, "Come and see!" And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth"

• Like 3

Thanks for the info Kenny, I will see if I can find a copy on DVD. You may be correct on the rifle, the M1917 looked almost identical to the British version, the P14, and it may have been a captured rifle or lend lease. Just odd to see is all. 

• Like 4

I think you mean Kenny, I have a copy of this film it's very good.

• Like 4

Yes, lol. Its a Monday for sure....I did find a copy on DVD, so I will be ordering one, looking forward to watching it.

• Like 4

Let us know what you think of it Gildwiller, watch out for the monkey.   

• Like 4