WW1 German Helmet armor additions

Gildwiller1918

I have seen several variants of the item shown below. They appear to be armor augmentations to presumably help prevent splintering inside armor vehicles or injuries from indirect fire such as sentry duty. If anyone has more information about them, please add to the thread. I do not know if these are originals or something someone has made up. A lot of these seem to be coming from Eastern Europe, so I am a little suspicious. However I am curious to know more. 

4e5a109148076e57b553b42a59466ef8.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Here is another I saw on an auction site. All of these that I have seen are coming out of Eastern Europe/Russia. I have seen several variations so far but nothing official to their manufacture. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 5

I think they look dubious until proved otherwise. Best to search for original photos showing examples.

• Like 4

I think these are very well made fantasy pieces but that is my opinion. I have been watching a dealer who is selling a similar type, he seems to have another one ready in a few weeks.

• Like 5

Unlike splatter masks worn by British tank crews. Lots of fakes about though. The real thing goes for about £1250 in the UK

• Like 6

Until I find some sort of documentation or actual photo examples, like Fritz said, I am very wary of these types. I have seen at least half a dozen variants so far, all coming out of Russia/Eastern Europe. 

• Like 5

There are manufacturers stamps inside under the leather on splatter masks but fakes are a plenty apparently. Buyer beware.A whole gang of blacksmiths out there !

Edited by Achtung Spitfire!
unfinished
  • Like 6

Oh yeah I have seen the repro's of the splatter masks, and have seen originals. Most repro's are sold as such, but there are some unscrupulous folks aging them and trying to pass them off as originals. Last original one I saw was close to $1000 US. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another one I spotted, looks pretty good, but its a reproduction.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

Pure Science Fiction

• Like 3

Yes Fritz, I agree, someone is definitely working hard to fool collectors. 

• Like 3