Brodie helmet question

TonyTheTortoise

Is there a way to find out if a British made brodie helmet was issued to the first americans over there?

• Like 3

Doubtful there would be any records. However for the first Americans to arrive in France, I would say it would be almost certain they would have had British helmets. Initially the US purchased 400,000 helmets from the British until we could get our production going which started in early 1918. So for troops who arrived in 1917 and early 1918, I would say yes, they would have had British helmets. Also the US forces lacked artillery, tanks and aircraft, as well as machine guns, and these were also supplied by the British as well as the French. Some US divisions were also assigned to British or French forces and wore their gear and used their weapons as well. A good example of this is the US 30th Division, who were issued the SMLE rifle and associated field gear to ease logisitics. 

• Like 3

Yes I agree, very few M1917 helmets made it to the Western Front before the Armistice in 1918, the US A.E.F. soldiers would have worn

British made Brodie helmets as Gildwiller1918 has said.

• Like 3