Australian Army Cap

longwaterjim

Hello. I have an Australian army cap and that I am not too sure of. The liner and interior is well worn with no labels or markings except in the liner "Real Roan Leather".

It has a small Tudor Crown above the rising sun badge which I think was a majors rank badge??

The rising sun badge is a pattern 3, 1904 to 1949, with the wording "Australian Commonwealth Military Forces".

But the chin strap buttons are worded the same as a pattern 4, 1949, rising sun badge "Australian Military Forces" 

And I think the buttons are not the right size for a cap, but the button pins are very aged and corroded and look like they have never been taken off the cap or replaced. 

Is this as I saw in another post a genuine conglomeration of bits used as needed by the army and personnel or a fraudulent effort to make a cap more salable. Which I may have fallen for without due diligence. But only $70 10 years ago and it is in very good condition, so not too worried if I was taken for a ride. 

Can anyone help me?

20200420_142149.jpg

20200420_142205.jpg

20200420_142226.jpg

• Like 5

The cap looks like WW2 period or early postwar years, before 1953, as the badge has the King's crown. The buttons look a number too large, but otherwise correct style, also the chinstrap looks typically period, the cloth is khaki Barrathea. The significance of the small crown above the badge is unknown, but also pre-1953. The Australia badge is the small version worn on the peaked cap, the larger version for the bush hat style. A major wore a crown on each shoulder strap as a rank sign, not on the cap.
The additional crown seems to have been on the cap for a long time, possibly of some personal significance to the wearer. I would not remove anything and leave it as it is. Perhaps some research can reveal more information on this.

• Like 4

Thanks Fritz. Yes, it all looks like it has been one cap for a long time with no signs of tampering. I will be keeping it as is for sure. 

• Like 4