Ww1 German slings

I have two German slings. The left one is for a gewehr 88 and the right is the a gewehr 98. The one on the left has some paint on it and I was wondering seeing if there is a way to remove it and clean the sling up and make nice again. The one on the right had a lot  of leather oil applied by its previous owner and I was wondering if there is a way to bring some of it out and if that would lighten the color because it’s almost black as of right now. Also does anybody know what the markings on the swivel mean? I’m pretty sure they are for a unit.

278F3261-C11C-4961-B2DF-DB18F1DE0061.jpeg

43863498-568C-4B50-81A2-1BF554C3A7F0.jpeg

C2E21D23-FDB0-4355-B97B-9171A8199CCA.jpeg

2AB72C56-CCC6-4C6E-B79B-23ADA7B69C6A.jpeg

• Like 3

The G98 sling is nice, unfortunately once darkened, it will not lighten again. Most of the leather used got darker from use anyway. As long as its supple and oiled it should last if preserved correctly. The G88 sling looks like someone added some sort of coating to make it look black. I would leave it be for now, until more can be found out about what was done to it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Never oil leather! This will permanantly harm the leather and darken it! A fine clear wax polish is better, or saddle soap for cleaning.
The numbers are not a unit marking, more of a serial number. Rifles were not usually unit marked.

• Like 3