M-16 helmet

TonyTheTortoise

I got this salty m-16 stahlhelm. It’s pretty rusty but there is still some paint on it. The liner is very dry and hard. It’s a size 62 which I thought was pretty cool and it had a good price. Should I do anything to help protect and stop or remove the rust. And is there anything to help the liner from eventually crumbling up.

5F3E0878-A139-49D8-8CF3-EBA42E734375.jpeg

AA6F7334-2F93-4E9E-B432-CC697DC39A2B.jpeg

DCDF143B-FD45-41F9-A6D0-99D1CBFC00B4.jpeg

3AEA0831-6AD9-4ADE-8B8C-90B4A8CB71E6.jpeg

2DA80227-6664-4619-9689-3B263DD881CA.jpeg

2DCCA947-82C0-417B-B83B-9C0A33BFEDAA.jpeg

99FAB790-55B2-4C34-9C10-28132F48DB3E.jpeg

AFFEE5A4-A2D4-4247-9984-A3BD0DBA82D1.jpeg

• Like 5

You are very lucky to find such a comparatively good helmet at a low price nowadays. First of all, I would do nothing. Do not use steel wool, emery paper or any other abrasives! There is still a fair amount of original paintwork left after over 100 years, so do not overpaint on any account! The lining has not only dried, but has been chewed by rodents or insects at some time. I would not remove the liner, as the 3 splints holding can break, this is something you can't replace any more (despite repro parts on the market). Do not use WD-40 or similar on paintwork!
I would treat the leather carefully, using a soft brush to remove any loose dust, and afterwards, a moist cloth or sponge to remove surface grime and moisten the leather a little.
Saddle soap (from riding outfitters, etc.) can be used to treat the leather, see manufacturer's instructions on this. Do not use leather oil on old leather!
After the leather is dry enough, an application of "Renaissance Wax"( or a thin application of vaseline is also good), which is recommended by many museums and collectors - may be somewhat expensive, but worthwhile. This will freshen up the leather and make it last longer. When this has been done, the helmet should be stored in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight etc. To prevent the leather liner from collapsing downwards, which stresses the folds and makes them tear, it is best to stuff the inside with some dry paper (old newspaper will do) to keep the liner in place.
The exterior of the helmet could be lightly brushed with a fine brush to remove surface dust. I have often used paraffin oil (lamp oil, which used to be used in heaters, etc.), applying with a soft cloth and allowing to thoroughly dry (avoid contact with leather!). This will not only brighten the paintwork, but will also gently and gradually remove some of the surface rust. This step could be repeated several times to improve the appearance of the helmet. This will of course not entirely remove all rust, but will improve the appearance of the helmet, it also does not harm the paintwork. Change cloth frequently, adding more paraffin oil, as rust residues  in the cloth are abrasive to the remaining paintwork.
Correct storage and carefull handling are the essence of preserving an old steel helmet.

Strangely enough, a size 62 is not much in demand by collectors at the moment, but personally I prefer these, they also display better and take up less space in a display cabinet! They are also more typical of the period, when people were smaller and not overweight.
I can't quite make out the maker's stamp in the photo - ...J 62 - the first letter is not quite legible. TJ was Karl Thiel in Lübeck. I have included a list of manufacturers in another chapter.

• Like 4

For leather treatment and cleaning. I don't know if this product (left) is still available in the UK, but it was always very good. To the right is a new
German alternative saddle soap, which is based on glycerine, the old English product was superior, but the new one is a reasonable alternative.
For long term treatment, a thin application of vaseline to the leather is also good (after the leather has been cleaned), remove excess and allow to sink in. This will lengthen the life of old leather.

100_3350.JPG

image.thumb.png.c07497d493222df63333d3f6cb76eb2a.png

This was my first steel helmet, purchased in 1964. It is still in this same condition today, virtually unaged, due to good storage. I also store it in a dry place in a transparent plastic bag, which also protects the surface from contact with other objects and prevents knocks and scratches.
Maker, ET64 - Eisenhüttenwerk Thale/Harz.

• Like 5

Very nice helmet Tony, Fritz is correct, they are getting hard to find at a good price and he has excellent advice on preservation as well. 

• Like 4

When looking for a good saddle soap in the states, what should I look for? Any ingredients to look for stay away from?

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Try to get the original product as shown, all natural ingredients on animal/organic basis, nourisches the leather, try searching the internet for suitable products. I believe the orig. English product is now manufactured in Italy

• Like 3