Siamese Mauser

Here is the type 45, 1st Contract Siamese Mauser. It gets is name as it was based upon the Mauser 98 and has many similarities to this rifle. Siam, now Thailand was wanting to modernize its forces at the turn of the century and very much envied the Mauser rifles, however they could not afford them outright, but they did buy a license to produce them, so they had copies made by various companies, this rifle was made by the Koishikawa Arsenal arsenal in Tokyo, which is designated by the 4 stacked cannon ball emblem. The main parts for these rifles were made mainly in Japan, then were sent back to Bangkok for completion under technical advisors from Japan. 

These rifles were introduced in 1902 with modifications and carbines issued later, and were eventually discontinued in 1950, with over 50,000 being produced. It was originally chambered in 8x50mm rimmed cartridges, however these were later considered obsolete and the new spitzer bullet was introduced, resulting in the rifles being named the type 45/46 to the type 66, this was started in 1923. Easiest way to tell if this modification occurred is to look at the leaf sights and see if they have been ground down, which you can see in the pictures below. Of particular interest is the retractable dust cover, which was very popular with the Siamese soldiers and the swiveling butt stock plate cover. I am looking for the accompanying bayonet, and when I get it, I will add to this post. 

Interestingly, Siam declared war on the Central Powers in 1917, and imprisoned 2 crews of German vessels in its harbors, and sent an expeditionary force to the Western front. The forces sent were around 1200 with and additional 300 or so for pilot training. The soldiers did fairly well, received decorations and mentioned in dispatches, the pilots were not finished training before the war ended. These rifles were used by those troops in France during the war.

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3863.JPG

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

• Like 5

• 8 months later...

I have recently learned that I am in possession of a Siamese Mauser which somehow came into my grandfather’s possession while he served during WWI. It was given to my father, and then to me.

Is there any way to determine the value of this firearm. The one I have is the one with the double stock. 

I suppose for its age it is in relatively good condition, but I am no expert and would appreciate objective input  

Thank you,

Starr 

• Like 5

Hello Starr, the value of the rifle is typically dependent on the condition and if the rifle is matching parts, etc. These rifles, at least here is the US can vary in price from $500-$1000. 

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

I finally got around to getting the bayonet for this rifle. These have really been hard to find in decent condition lately. 

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

• Like 3

Wouldn't be my choice, next I will be looking out for is a Swiss sawedge bayonet.

• Like 3

Now I need a correct period sling, so far I have not been able to find anything. 

• Like 3