Chassepot Bayonet

Gildwiller1918

Here is my new French Chassepot Bayonet, the M1866, which was made from this year till after the M1874 Gras was introduced. It has the distinctive curved or Yataghan style blade. This particular example was made at the Impériale de Chatellerault Arsenal in January of 1867. These bayonets were made by a variety of makers, from German, to Belgian to Dutch to name a few. There are even Chassepot bayonets with US made Remington marked handles, these were originally meant for sale to Egyptian forces. 

It has a serial number, that has been overstamped at least once. No scabbard came with this example, however that is the way I wanted it, goes good for my bayonet display. There is a undocumented story regarding the Germans selling these bayonets to the French during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870. The Kaiser was asked permission to sell the German made bayonets to the French, he said it was not a problem as they would soon get them back. 

IMG_3849.JPG

IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3848.JPG

• Like 3

Excellent, what a pity the scabbard is missing. These bayonets are not rare, but are nice to have, especially when the maker and date are present.
The story about the Kaiser approving the manufacture and export of this bayonet to France sounds a bit far-fetched, and would not have been.
Apart from that, there was no Kaiser during the Franco-Prussian War!
The only Kaisers were the Emperor Napoleon III., the Emperor of Russia and the Emperor of Austria-Hungary.
After France declared war, enraged by the candidature of a Hohenzollern Prince for the Spanish Throne, the conflict was waged against France by the German states under the leadership of Prussia. On 18. January 1871 in the Hall of Mirors in the Palace of Versailles, Wilhelm I., King  of Prussia was unanimously proclaimed as German Emperor by the crowned heads of the German states, all were present except for the King of Bavaria.

• Like 3

I know Fritz, the story about the Kaiser is just that, but I found it amusing that it is associated with this item. The German forces were overwhelming prepared for the Franco-Prussian war, so a little overconfidence might not have been out of place in the leadership. 

• Like 3

When I lived in Western Germany I would often visit the French fortress in Bitche, where a siege and battle occurred during the Franco-Prussian War. Not far away is the 3rd largest Maginot line Fort, at Simershoff. Below is a view of the fortress in Bitche. It was on high ground, but unfortunately it was located in a valley, where the surrounding hills were just as high or higher, allowing for artillery, which had advanced significantly since the forts construction to gain an advantage for the attackers.

P21aBitche.jpg

• Like 3