German stick grenade bases

Could someone advise me re German stick grenade metal bases. Were the star shaped ones only used in the first world war or did the continue to be used alongside the more familiar round type more typical of ww2 examples??

• Like 3

As far as I know the pattern you are talking about, was used on the Model 1916 and 1917 grenades in the first World War. However in WW2 the Germans used the M24 stick grenade which used a different type end cap, see below. The M24 end cap was to be spring loaded with a cardboard disc to keep the grenade waterproof and to reduce rattling from the ball, later type caps did away with the spring and just had the cardboard disk. I do see a lot of the M24 types with the WW1 style caps. Additionally I see a lot more of the WW1 caps for sale then the WW2 types, so its possible collectors/sellers are adding these to complete the grenades. Of course I am not an expert by any means.

(photo source, internet) 

german_m24_g2757.jpg

• Like 3

Normal logic would dictate that if it wasn't enirt they would through it at you ! & If it didn't go BANG they would just throw another..... otherwise they would have scrapped them all post W.W.1, So if collector's are still finding German grenade's from the first war, then they must have worked okay to use in the second war 

• Like 3

Yes, however WW1 grenades were notorious for being hazardous due to the nature of the explosive filling and fuses. WW2 version were more refined and safer. But in the early years of the 2nd war it was not uncommon to use up older supplies first. Many countries used weapons and ordnance left over from the last war.

• Like 3