help with a helmet

Redfish Bluefish

I recently started to collect military gear. I can across a helmet that has me stumped. I believe that it is a brodie helmet but not sure who and when it came from. The helmet has 3 holes drilled in the front brim. I have not been able to find any other strap buckles this style and the rivets are different. I have not found a heat stamp . It looks like a FD in paint on the inside of the brim. if anyone can help me identify this helmet I would appreciate it.

Thanks

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet4.jpg

helmet5.jpg

• Like 3

Hi RB fish fish.

My computer was stolen so I have lost all my info but I would hazard a guess it is  South African.

I have a South African Brodie style with 3 holes punched in the rim for a neck protector. Not the front as you have guessed and the chin strap holders are similar. 

My helmet is of a very poor steel with ribbing all round the rim, due to the Transvaal Steel Pressing Syndicate not having access to high grade steel and the machinery to press hard metals. Yours seems to be a higher grade.

Another feature is the South African helmet is nearly circular compared to the more British oval. 

Once you punch in South African Brodie into Mr Google you will see all the info you need. 

Hope this helps.

20200402_093853.jpg

20200402_093858.jpg

20200402_094524.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks! I wonder if the FD  stood for fire department and was used by them  like the article says during the air raids?  Its cool that I found 3 british ww2 helmets in a garage in ohio.

• Like 4

Looking into the possible Fire Department connection I found this helmet with same 3 holes in the back rim.

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

• Like 4

Hi RF BF.

I don't think the neck flap is attached. See attached Dutch Brodie, fire brigade or artillery.

The flap is actually attached to the head band and does not have any holes in the actual helmet.

I just went upstairs and had a look at my Dutch brodie with flap and there are no holes in the helmet. 

20200402_150236.jpg

• Like 5