WW1 Kugel Grenade Carrier

Here is a Kugel Grenade belt carrier. It is in relic condition and not complete. How it worked was the grenade was secured into the rig, and had leather straps that attached to the studs on the side of the carrier and supported the grenade with a small disc that held the grenade bottom. So to use it, the soldier removed it from the belt, the leather strap was then disconnected, and the grenade was pulled free from the carrier, removing the fuse pin, then the carrier was simply thrown away. Not a very efficient use of materials, so no wonder it was discontinued and from what I found it was not used in large numbers either. Most of these you find for sale are in relic condition, there are reproductions being made as well.

IMG_3823.JPG

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

IMG_3822.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice, I haven't seen one of those  carriers for ages,! And that kugel is in remarkable condition,  I used to have one also, but not as nice as yours.

• Like 5

Thanks Buster, they are coming out of Eastern Europe mainly if you are lucky to get one, and they are always in dug condition. 

• Like 5

Here is another one of my Kugels, the M1913, really great condition with the bronze traction igniter. Still has markings on the base. 

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3829.jpg

• Like 5

Here is the later M1915 N/a, which was simplified to increase production from the the 1913 model. This one has a hole drilled into the base to show its deactivated. 

IMG_3834.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

• Like 4

Upon seeing them, the last body type one is the kind  I had, but with the first type fuse/ ingnitor

• Like 4

The 1915 types are somewhat still common, although the 1913 types seem to be prevalent on the market right now. Below is another type, one that I am still searching for. The Germans were somewhat prepared for the war with a reasonable stockpile of Grenades, however this did not last long and so they simplified the 1913 version which is shown below on the right. This was an attempt to reduce production time and get more to the front. These are very uncommon, I have only seen one for sale in the last few years and it was very expensive. Of course after 1915, the stick grenade became dominant and these types started to be less common.

(photo source, internet)

KugelSerie1.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

I've got 2 1913 Kugel Grenades with different fragmentation 'patterns'. I'll post photos. Whats the correct fuse for the 1915? (I have 2) Is it the 'wire type? See photo (it is a replica).Excuse my poor terminology and enlighten me please.

20200722_212453.thumb.jpg.7eda7397a122224a303b866e90b772c4.jpg

• Like 4

Here are the types of fuses used with the Kugel grenades:

- bronze traction igniter model 1913 with 5 seconds delay
- zinc alloy traction igniter model 1915 with 8 seconds delay
- embossed steel plate traction igniter model 1917 with 5 seconds delay
- zinc alloy percussion igniter model 1916 with 5 seconds delay

• Like 4

Thanks for the info.

• Like 4

No problem, sorry it took so long. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Here are are two model 1913 Kugel grenades of different designs notably at the 'neck' & in the fragmentation patterns.

20201021_134657.thumb.jpg.0ea97d560e1c4acbc560fd8645036561.jpg

And one them seen here in a replica belt carrier. The cylinder at the base is just to keep it upright.

20201021_131400.thumb.jpg.5d0da37cc4bf7f4d98aaf010e2c59f29.jpg

Edited by Achtung Spitfire!
spelling error
  • Like 4