Iron crosses!

Greg

To be fair, I got a tip off on these... cannot even think of affording them, but still something pretty...

• Like 3

very nice Greg, it's strange how you rarely see single Imperial 2nd classes on sites, although in saying that I got one in today. I wonder why this is ? perhaps something to do with all these large groups of court mounted imperial medals that seem to be everywhere these days? I wonder if someone has been busy with the needle and thread

• Like 2

Yes I got one yesterday, first one in months so I looked around all the other sites to see if they had gone up in value, I eventually found one and saw it was still only worth £45, but only one cross for sale with so sites?  loads of WW2 ones but no Imperial which you would think would be much more plentiful. I can only think as Imperial medals are quite slow sellers that someone has had the idea to group them all together and add an Iron Cross in front of them making a court mounted set which look more appealing. Strange as 20 years ago I used to buy bags of them, they were every where, lots more issued than the WW2 version and only worth half the price. So where have they all gone? and if there are so few around surely they should be worth more than the WW2 ones not half the price, strange indeed. 

• Like 2

I agree, the 1870 crosses are rare and they are properly priced. The WWI items there are plenty of so I would assume they are out there. Seeing so many in lots makes me think a few things: 

1. They somehow got horded in specific collecting communities as people wanted them, that dried up the market and now they are just being dumped in lots bc too few individuals have too many. (I think this is unlikely though)

2. lots of them were found somewhere and released for bulk sale, this happens a lot with general militaria

3. Imperial crosses just are not sexy like the WWII ones are... pity, I love the WWI stuff

• Like 3

• 12 years later...
On 20/12/2008 at 10:16, Kenny Andrew said:

Yes I got one yesterday ,first one in months so I looked around all the other dealers sites to see if they had gone up in value , I eventually found one and saw it was still only worth £45 ,but only one cross for sale with so many dealers ?

loads of WW2 ones but no Imperial which you would think would be much more plentiful. I can only think as Imperial medals are quite slow sellers that someone has had the idea to group them all together and add an Iron Cross in front of them making a court mounted set which look more appealing.

Strange as 20 years ago I used to buy bags of them , they were every where , lots more issued than the WW2 version and still only worth half the price.

So where have they all gone? and if there are so few around surely they should be worth more than the WW2 ones not half the price , strange indeed.

The truth is that for years, metal dealers have been breaking them up, selling the iron core for about 10 Euros and melting down the silver.
Sad, but true. The same thing happened to a lot of British silver 1914-18 War Medals, now often missing in a set or trio.

• Like 2