Mauser G98 Rifle

Gildwiller1918

Here is one of my Mauser G98 Rifles, this one is a pre-WW1 model dated 1906. It is from the Waffenfabrik Mauser A.G. Oberndorf a/n. This rifle has all matching parts which is hard to come by nowadays as well. It is complete with the cleaning rod and a 2nd pattern sling. 

IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3617.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3624.JPG

IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3626.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

• Like 3

Here is another Mauser G98 from the same maker as the one listed above, however this one is not matching. It is dated 1918 and the stock looks like it has been re-finished at some point. It does have the finger groove on the stock, and is complete with sling and cleaning rod as well. 

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3644.JPG

• Like 3

Excellent! I had a similar example dated 1917, also Oberndorf, unfortunately traded on. Behind the sight on the second example, there is a 303 stamp. Could this possibly a capture example converted to English .303 calibre? I saw such an example in the Imperial War Museum, which had been converted at Hythe/Kent, 1916.

I also had for many years a Gew.88 - a nice weapon, very much still used in the Great War. This was marked ERFURT 1891, and had the S marking on the receiver, as converted for the new ammunition S-Geschoß or Spitzengeschoß.

18.3.2021:  I see now, your example has on the right side of the receiver, a Cal. 8mm stamp, the remaining letters behind his are illegible in photo, so this is a captured example. There are also a couple of numbers 18 / 303 stamped above the breech these marks have probably been stamped on by the whichever country captured it.

• Like 3

Fritz I checked to see if a .303 round would operate in the rifle you mentioned. The bolt has not been modified to take the rimmed cartridge, but as I mentioned in the post it does not have matching parts, the round does fit in the chamber though, but this is to be expected as the German round is slightly larger. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I used to have rounds in several clips,  all period. I also had a couple of Enfield cartridges and clips, but never tried to fit these - as well as a few Lebel cartriges, battlefield finds, unfired, and a couple of clips in good condition.

• Like 3

I also have some period ammunition and some on clips or still sealed in the bandoliers. It is getting harder to come by, especially in good condition.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

See my comments further up about capture stamps.

• Like 3